Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Stoneflies

OMR, you have a cellphone ?

You have a camera !

A lot of the time I wish I could see a picture to go with what you're describing as your mind tends to wander. Use your cellphone ! (Free pic download, manipulation and upload training offered in lieu of invite to Saints dam for a fish )
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

My cellphone is a temporary one from Nashua Mobile with NO camera!!! Disgraceful, that's what I call it!

I await my new I-Phone next week which from the sounds of it even has a Drive-In screen and Dr Who Tardis!

My mind doesn't wander, it's Alzheimers!!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Default Stone flies

Well gents and cool(only)cool forum members.
    Yet again I missed out a very prolific Stonefly hatch on the Vaal. I've taken these pics just to show you guys how many shrugs were left on the rocks in the area, most of the rocks were covered - I still have hopes of walking into a hatch to observe how the fish react if at all and just to get a glimpse of some adult as I've never laid eyes on a live specimen. I have collected some samples for tying purposes to evolve my realistic Stonefly pattern even further.

This venue may bring even more discoveries to this space... who knows what's next....

P.S these were not found at "Indiana Jones and the lockup lair o'Mugabe" Still north of the boerewors curtain but on private land.

Over to you OMR..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (96.7 KB, 29 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (71.2 KB, 21 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (87.5 KB, 19 views)
    No PAIN No Gain

some more
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (66.0 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (60.4 KB, 19 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (86.2 KB, 22 views)
    No PAIN No Gain

Great photos thanks Nympho! I guessed that was above Loch Vaal! I just wonder how much insect life has been destroyed downstream of Rietspruit as well. Certainly that looked like a big hatch that had happened - we should compare our artificials next time we meet up!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Great photos thanks Nympho! I guessed that was above Loch Vaal! I just wonder how much insect life has been destroyed downstream of Rietspruit as well. Certainly that looked like a big hatch that had happened - we should compare our artificials next time we meet up!
    Yes Sir!
    I'm so badly falling in love with the creepy crawlies on the Vaal that I'm destined to end up twice the entomology nerd you are
    No PAIN No Gain

Blog Entries

I saw this stoned fly the other day....disgusting!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Haha!
    The 'golden' type stonefly nymphs often do a bit of downstream 'behavioural' drift before they go to line up for crawling to shore to hatch. This is usually just after sunset and just before dawn, about a couple of weeks before the actual hatch starts, and upto about a couple of weeks after they've started hatching.. They then climb out of the water onto rocks or vegetation and hatch (hence your shucks you saw Nympho on the rocks, of course. This is predominantly right now, i.e. earlyish summer. The adults then mate, as they are awkward fliers, they often fall into the watter flapping their wings like a fishwife and then they are very exposed to fish picking them off in the shallows. The ones that do survive usually lay their eggs in the faster sections of water just before sunset, as because of the nature of their gills, the nymphs need water running past their gills so they can extract oxygen.
    The nymphs are avialable to the fish all year. As the former have strong legs they firmly attach themselves to submerged rocks so the fish need to bite savagely to get them off their perches. Anyway a few snippets from my experiences with these interesting big bggers!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Haha!
    The 'golden' type stonefly nymphs often do a bit of downstream 'behavioural' drift before they go to line up for crawling to shore to hatch. This is usually just after sunset and just before dawn, about a couple of weeks before the actual hatch starts, and upto about a couple of weeks after they've started hatching.. They then climb out of the water onto rocks or vegetation and hatch (hence your shucks you saw Nympho on the rocks, of course. This is predominantly right now, i.e. earlyish summer. The adults then mate, as they are awkward fliers, they often fall into the watter flapping their wings like a fishwife and then they are very exposed to fish picking them off in the shallows. The ones that do survive usually lay their eggs in the faster sections of water just before sunset, as because of the nature of their gills, the nymphs need water running past their gills so they can extract oxygen.
    The nymphs are avialable to the fish all year. As the former have strong legs they firmly attach themselves to submerged rocks so the fish need to bite savagely to get them off their perches. Anyway a few snippets from my experiences with these interesting big bggers!
    Thanks for the useful information.
    I know a dude that fishes Stonefly patterns in this area with great success - he is just extremely secretive about the exact method and location. All I know is that he likes fishing a single #10 black Stonefly nymph up & across with a retrieve. Now from what you've mentioned in terms of 'behavioural' activities, I find it had to believe that the fish take the fly as a stonefly specifically. I've also had success by fishing a similar pattern down stream and every time I got hooked up near the service.

Any thoughts to share?
    No PAIN No Gain

Yes your/his tactics for the 'free-drifting' nymphs works a treat. You can also fish them swimming towards shore similar to how you can fish damsel nymphs when they're going shoreside to hatch.
    For adults you can tie simple impressionistic 'fluttering' jobs and fish close to the banks and vegetation and give them a few good twitches. Sort of Kaufmann Stimulators, Sofa Pillows and other Golden Stone adults work well.
    You can also imitate the emerging nymphs and 'cripples' if you want to get technical. In my experience free-drifting nymphs seem to pick up the most fish, with dries a bit less and I don't really bother with the emergers/cripples unless the fish are selectively going for them over/above any other stage of the stonefly

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456