Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Araty Diamond 20lb line as a leader

Cool Araty Diamond 20lb line as a leader

I was shown Araty Diamond 20lb line (0.33mm diameter) by an old chap that lives near me. He's renowned for finding cheaper alternatives for things...

In this case, he's changed the way i fish! I've been using this line as leader when fishing for everything, both saltwater and freshwater. It's as thin as some 10lb lines, nice and affordable (about R60 for 1160m of the stuff) and has no memory at all! I find i've lost much less fish and flies due to trees etc after using it. It's really strong and hardly visible in the water. I have this huge spool of it at home now and i know i have leaders for a couple of years to come before it goes vrot as all nylon eventually does. There's no way i will use all 1km of the spool for leaders, no matter how often i fish! I think it's a great cost-effective alternative to the conventional leaders out there...plus it doesn't spook or discourage fish from taking! I've caught fish in crystal clear water with it, by just using a long leader.

Check it out.

I have been using this line for about a year now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    I have been using this line for about a year now as well.
    good work, nice to know someone else out there thinks the same.

Quote Originally Posted by phly View Post
    good work, nice to know someone else out there thinks the same.
    Are you just using a piece of this line for your leader? I.e. are you not tapering it? I'm not quite sure that I'd be satisfied with my fly presentation on a standard diameter leader- is your leader/ tippet combo turning over adequately in the air?

Thanks for the heads up re the line, but I'm not sure it would work for delicate presentations?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Are you just using a piece of this line for your leader? I.e. are you not tapering it? I'm not quite sure that I'd be satisfied with my fly presentation on a standard diameter leader- is your leader/ tippet combo turning over adequately in the air?

Thanks for the heads up re the line, but I'm not sure it would work for delicate presentations?
    Hey Kevin,
    I don't taper it..i think it would be wrong to use it on small streams obviously where fly presentation is integral to catching fish. Also with very small dry flies cos it won't fit through the eye of the hook..but i find it more than adequate for dam fishing, saltwater and rivers. Haven't had a problem with casting at all and the line turns over fine.

I’ve been using it for a while on my Vaal Czech leaders and it’s been pretty good. It’s not suitable for the last section of you main line leader if you attach droppers or for you dropper tippets as it’s very supple and tends to tangle.

I use the 14lb as a main line from my fly line for about 2m and then tie a loop to the end, to the loop I usually attach a 1m section of fluoro with dropper loops to attach the flies. The fluroro is also more abrasion resistant which helps with all the rocks you get caught on in the vaal.

Because it’s so thin you don’t get too much drag on the main line due to the river current, very good to improve the feel of the takes.

R60, you can get it cheaper than that up here in Guateng, bought my 14lb spool for R26.

i normally make up a 9ft leader out of 30lbs/15lbs, mostly for salt

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    I’ve been using it for a while on my Vaal Czech leaders and it’s been pretty good. It’s not suitable for the last section of you main line leader if you attach droppers or for you dropper tippets as it’s very supple and tends to tangle.

I use the 14lb as a main line from my fly line for about 2m and then tie a loop to the end, to the loop I usually attach a 1m section of fluoro with dropper loops to attach the flies. The fluroro is also more abrasion resistant which helps with all the rocks you get caught on in the vaal.

Because it’s so thin you don’t get too much drag on the main line due to the river current, very good to improve the feel of the takes.

R60, you can get it cheaper than that up here in Guateng, bought my 14lb spool for R26.
    drat, us Durbs okes get shredded with prices! Nice work, thanks for the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by phly View Post
    drat, us Durbs okes get shredded with prices! Nice work, thanks for the ideas!
    Your diamond line should be cheaper at the coast ,Kingfisher are the wholesalers for the product. I do use it as well mostly for yellow. It is pretty good ,not the best knot strength but it is thin so you can generally fish heavier than usual, but if the fishing is good I use a heavier line like maxima it allows me to pull faster

The company that makes this line has been closed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast