Thread: Going to Rocktail Bay

Default Going to Rocktail Bay

Hi

Im going to Rocktail Bay the long weekend in September and im fairly new to the saltwater fly fishing scene...

If someone can just give me some advice on how to target three spotted pompano and the kingfish in the area(flies and tactics) I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks
    Quintin

Default Roctail Bay

You cant go wrong with and intermediate line and smallish clousers #2-8 in various colours. chart/white white and all black work well
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Default Rocktail

Good place to go, are you staying at Mqubela or Camp Dawid? Do take along some salty Buggers as well as small clousers,and don't forget the pink crazy charlies.You should fish beyond the point at rocktail where the rocks end and the sand start.

Hey Quintin

Just spent 4 days in that area. Caught many pompano's on #6 pink and brown and olive crazy charlies. even caught a 12cm leerie and mullets as well. southern pompano, greenspot kingies and a monster 46kg GT came out as well on conventional tackle though.
    The guys at mqubela camp said black poppers work really well for kingie at night right in the bay.

I caught everything in the bay and to the left (north), don't worry about long casts when targeting pompanos, they're real close. I caught some in ankle deep water.
    A garfish and BIG pompanos came out at black rock as well. The fishing is starting to pick since last month.

good luck
    Vow not to stop until i've got a kingfish, but then gentlemen... it has just begun...

Hi guys! Thanks for all the info...

Will take all of the tips and use it when im down there...
    Staying in Maqubela lodge and will travel the area from there...

Will let u know if 'n pick up anything worth mentioning...

Kind regards
    Quintin