Thread: Bass at Theewaters

Default Bass at Theewaters

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could give me some info re:fishing Theewaters.

My father-in-law has a plot at the golf club and when we drive there we pass a huge stretch that has dead trees in the water. There is a gate going down to the bank there with a sign on that says access only to fishing club members. Does one have to be a member of the club to fish this stretch?

Any advice/info on bass fishing at Theewaters?

Andrew

hi there
    if you go to the main entrance at the yacht club you can go in and fish from quite a few places. i think they charge R20.00 per person. i was there about 2 months ago and spoke to the guys in the bar and they were saying the bass are slowly increasing in numbers and in another 2 seasons the fishing should be good again. don't know how true it is but that's what the manne said.
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Sounds good.

Next time we go picnic/ski I'll have to take some tackle with.

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    hi there
    spoke to the guys in the bar cheers
    A man after my OWN heart
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by spig View Post
    Sounds good.

Next time we go picnic/ski I'll have to take some tackle with.
    I used to fish Theewaters alot. But the fishing has been very poor over the last few years. The bass had a fungus on their fins and their numbers were greatly decreased. The last time I fished there, we caught barbel and I foul hooked a 10.2kg carp.

Lets hope with the dam being full up, the water condition will improve and the bass will regenerate a bit. I have some serious memories fishing in spring in timber and catching some solid largies. A boat really helps to get around. If the wind blows, be careful how far you run up the dam. You can get into serious trouble.

Best of luck.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Default Theewaters

Hey there....

Yeah, Theewaters... hmmm, what can i say!

Its something like this:

I grew up (okay, well, I havnt grown up yet... ) in Villiersdorp. That dam used to be crystal crystal clear... however, the condition has deteriorated over the last 5 years. This is probably due to a combination of factors... an increase in carp and barbel is PART of the explanation. I used to catch bass there myself (there were LOTS of bass in that dam) and to tell you the truth, I havnt even tried to fish for them there for about 3 years.

I dont think it is possible that every last one of them have been wiped out. (there "used to be" trout and bluegill there too by the way - trust me on that, just local knowledge) But the only way of knowing the bass situation there at the moment is to go try it out (ie, target bass). The best way to fish that dam is by boat. (If you make freinds with the farmers you can walk large sections of it and fish the structures. Please dont get shot at.

If you get in to the yaught club (small entry fee and permit required I think), there is/was good fishing in the bay on the left hand side of the slipway. go all the way into the corner... there are flooded willow trees, river inlet etc. Massive massive barbel can be caught there too. We used to catch them with live carp as bait!

Anyway, besides that... it should be fun. Oh ja... you could always try the banks by the dam wall side (past the golf estate). Thats fairly accessable.

Please wack it hard, and let us all know where the bass are!

Enjoy, Ryan

W e l c o m e b r o t h e r S h a r k b a i t. OOH-HA-HA!
    What a pity about the carp/barbel invasion (not to mention the bass) I'm keen to spend a day casting there and hopefully hooking sumtin. feedback would be welcome cheers
    W