Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stellenbosch Area - Afternoon options

Hi Dave.

Hope you are well.

Try and get out to elandspad or the smalblaar if you can, it is worth the trip and totaly different to the vaal as you know it.

As shector said, it will be worth your while to phone cps before making any final plans

Hope you have a great time in the cape and remember, take pics for us and then tell us how it went.

What time are you going to arrive on sunday? Maby you can head out then for a short trip.

Are you going to do any salty fishing while you are there?

Oh well, have a great time and safe journey buddy
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    No clue how old you are or what your vibe is but theres always 'All Stars' for the younger party animals!!
    In our local news paper (Eikestad News), there was an aricle about people being drugged at All Stars. Allegedly, the drugs were mixed into their drinks!

That's what happens when you go to 'Yoof' bars!

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    In our local news paper (Eikestad News), there was an aricle about people being drugged at All Stars. Allegedly, the drugs were mixed into their drinks!
    MMMM nice!! But that may not be your cup of tea!

On a serious note, that type of thing happens everywhere. It ridiculous! I don't even feel safe letting my girlfriends go out buy themselves anymore. It just too dangerous at night!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    MMMM nice!! But that may not be your cup of tea!

On a serious note, that type of thing happens everywhere. It ridiculous! I don't even feel safe letting my girlfriends go out buy themselves anymore. It just too dangerous at night!
    How many you got Maddy???
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Eerste is an option from almost below town - town water from Paul Roos up can and has produced some beaut fish. My boet picked up a lovely 18" last week somewhere between Paul Roos and hangbrug. This section of river produced some real cape trophies (18" +) in my first two years of varsity six years ago.

Phone Ryan on 0832358027 - if you get through, he'll sort you out as far as fishing goes higher up the valley. Also possible fishing in Kleinplaas dam in the reserve if its still clear after the winter rains...

Eikendal is also an option - talk to Ryan.

The town water of the Lourens in SWest also has been producing some nice trout lately.

A mate catch a several good sized rainbows below the dam on the berg last week. Maybe also worth a look. Drive towards Franshoek and just after Bridgehouse school, pull into the restuarant - owner is a friendly chat who is happy to let you park on his land.

Night life

Start at the Brazen Head for a Guinness or three and a damn fine meal. Then move onto Terrace for a Green Mamba (watch for the bouncers - absolute chumps). Then if the urge arises, head for Nu Bar. If you are really feeling brave, an early morning trip to Springboks with the traditional stop at BP/McDs will complete your Stellenbosch experience.

De Akker is also a nice chilled bar...

PS - Watch out for the bottom feeders if you make Springboks. I know we're fishermen but these ones are NOT good fishing...

Quote Originally Posted by fdavis View Post
    PS - Watch out for the bottom feeders if you make Springboks. I know we're fishermen but these ones are NOT good fishing...
    Must agree ! You know what they say about that last pie on the shelf...that no-one wants at 05.00 am in the morning !

Ha ha ha some cracking replies in this thread and I'll try and get in touch with all of you locals when I'm down there. I'm keen to hit the town pretty much everynight, but since I dont booze these days I'll be on the red bull... Bit of a shame it seems but at least I know i wont be taking the "last petrol station pie" so to speak All stars sounds like a Stellies version of drop zone in hatfield. I'm a VIP member of dropzone if that gives you any idea of the demographic that I fall into

As for the fishing it looks like sneaking off to the streams for half a day is not going to happen anymore as I have just been informed I need to stick to the core business hours of 08:00 to 17:00 with an hour for lunch. What is the point of being a consultant if you are treated as an employee, but thats another rant for another day.

It looks like the best bet would be to fish at eikendal or jonershoek for a couple of hours in the afternoon. From reading one or two other threads it seems that they can provide some good sport
    Check your knots!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast