Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cathederal Peak

Default Cathederal Peak

Anyone who knows this area pls help me out!

I am going to be staying at Cathederal Peak Hotel for a week in December! I know there is a river that runs up that valley that is called the Mlambonja and that Lake Naverone control a large section of this river!

My question is does anybody know if there are any sections of that river i will be able to fish considering i am staying at Cathederal Peak???

Thanks,
    Matt
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

I think you have your venues confused?? I think you are staying at Castle Gardens??? hell I dont know, but Lake Nav is on the Umzimkulu... Cathedral has their own piece of water..., Maybe they controll that water, but it is like on the other side of the mountain... I dont think so.

I am sure that someone else will figure it out.

Sorry Matt, thats my 2 cents...

Mike
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Thanks for the reply Mike!

I am definately staying at Cathederal Peak, it is on the same road as Naverone but around 4km's further up! The river that Naverone has control over is definately the Mlambonja river and i assume that this is the same river that flows past Cathedral peak!

I could be wrong. . .
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Default rigting be***k

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Thanks for the reply Mike!

I am definately staying at Cathederal Peak, it is on the same road as Naverone but around 4km's further up! The river that Naverone has control over is definately the Mlambonja river and i assume that this is the same river that flows past Cathedral peak!

I could be wrong. . .
    Sorry Umrox but Mike is right. Lake Navarone is about 12 k's from my gate. That's the southern berg. Cathederal peak is 4 or more hours away. that's the northern berg. You have your rivers confused. There are 3 major tributaries to the Umzimkulu; they are Umzimkulu, Umzimkulwana and Mzimudi. (There is also a tiny side stream that flows into the upper Umzimkulu in the parks board conservation area that is sometimes refered to as the Mlambona).

The Mlambonja you speak of is a tributary of the Tugela; different valley, different drainage system (almost a different country). Hugh vd Riet runs a hatchery up there (Tryme trout). Give him a ring. For sure he will know every dam & nook &cranny that stocks trout within a 200k radius of his hatchery.

But I think yuo are going to find that top class fishing opportunies up there are a bit limited.... the closest really decent fishing is either back towards Notties or up over the top at Clarens (freestate). Not everyone will agree with my assesment, I am sure. I suppose it depends on your definitions of 'decent fishing'.

Taa Wolf...

Mike
    Mike McKeown

Thanks for reply Wolf!

Yup sorry Mike you are 100% right i was getting confused between Hotels and was thinking of Drak Gardens which is the Hotel just up the road from Naverone! Ya Wolf you are right that area of the Berg is very thin when it comes to good Trout fishing venues!

Wolf do you know if there are any rivers within a 20k radius from Cathedral Peak that hold trout?

Thanks Matt

Matt, Wolf makes a good point.

Wolf - please will you PM Matt, with Hugh's number.

Mike
    Mike McKeown

Thanks again Mike you seem to know more about my own province then i do

Wolf if you could PM me that we be great!

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

Has anybody fished here lately and is it worth trying in the river at the hotel ?
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder

Yes, definitely worth fishing, lots of (mostly small) rainbow trout. Fish form the campsite up past the hotel. As always with 'berg streams the best fishing is in the tribal lands below the national park ... but can be dodgy fishing in these areas.

River will start getting a bit thin from now though as the dry season starts.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast