Thread: Southbroom area?

Default Southbroom area?

Hi All

I am going on a golf tour to the South Coast next week Friday. Won't have much time for anything other than golf (5 rounds in 4 days and a WC final) but I thought I'd stick either the 7 or 9 wt in the golf bag, just in case.

Does anyone know about good spots in the Southbroom area, surf or estuary? Likely target species / flies / tactics / time of day / tides?

Thanks

Jean

Jean, try doing a search for the south coast, I remember in the beginning of the year the were plenty threads running on the area, I'm sure you'll find something.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Stick a 5# in in your bag and fish the course dams once the last players finish... shhh keep it on the down low though!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Default southbroom

Southbroom lagoon is looking good and I had a few chases there this week I think the Rock salmon will be there shortly
    Mpenjati is probably the best bet I got a kingy thereon tues and there is masses of activity there with mullet getting the snot chased out of them there as well as grunter taling on the banks
    I would go with a 5 or 6 wt and clouser /charlies and fish the dropoffs on the pushing tide and chase grunter on the full and receding tides

SouthBroom is safer if you are on your own

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

southbroom is safer on your own??
    i might be a woosie here, but i'm not gonna fish on my own too often. monkey in the bush sees you with a bag and he immediately thinks it's full of moola, 10 cellphones and access to every atm in town. if it's like de mond in ct i can fish on my own. my recollections of southbroom....mmmm no way.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Default Sad state of affairs

I have posted two different (one for saltwater and one for yellowfish) threads in the last 48hrs - and in replies to both I was warned not to fish certian spots alone due to personal safety issues.

:-(

Default Safety

Ive fished south broom countless times and it is safe as you are out on the water and some one would need to cross 50-100 m of water to get to you, there are "town gaurds in the parking lot " most times
    MpenJati went through a rough patch specificaly on the "top side" above the bridge but it seems to be getting better as the "brick yard" has hired guards that patrol the perimiter so can see you
    I fished there alone five times this week and did not see any thing dogey.
    I also dont fish with a bag I put my cell and car keys in a water proof pouch and take flies /tippet in my pocket
    you need to be prepeared to swim as this is probably your best way of avoiding would be "shoppers "

The only place I personaly avoid fishing alone or in a small group is Mzamba

I belive you cant let the possibilty of an event keep you from fishing
    but you need to be prepared and alert

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Outside of human dangers, seriously watch out for snakes there as well. In Southbroom's early days just about every time I went fishing round the golf course area I encountered one or more. Maybe the human elements have stolen them all in the interim and sold them to a Chinese consumables exporter?

Default crocodiles

another consideration in Southbroom is Crocodiles I kid you not !!!
    allthough not in the last year or two !!!