Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

Hi guys, Im a complete newbie (as a mater of fact I went flyfishing for the first time yesterday) and I enjoyed it tremendously. I went ti Dewdale Fly Fishery in Franchoek afrer sseing their website, and what a dissapointment. They advertise 8 dams and coaching so I thought I could start there, but when we got there there was only one dam and a lady that spents about 5min with you for R100. I set of on my own after renting kit and even though I didnt catch anything I still enjoyed it. If anyone saw me they would probably have laugthed their asses of, but what the hell, you got to learn somewhere.

Anyway. Im going to start looking for my own kit tommorow and would appreciate if anyone could give me some pointers in what to get that would suit a begiiner and not break my pocket. Also would like some information on places where I could go fishing while learning so that I dont upset the more experienced guys.

Thanks guys and hope to soon see some of you next to the water somewhere.

Morne

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    Hi guys, Im a complete newbie (as a mater of fact I went flyfishing for the first time yesterday) and I enjoyed it tremendously. I went ti Dewdale Fly Fishery in Franchoek afrer sseing their website, and what a dissapointment. They advertise 8 dams and coaching so I thought I could start there, but when we got there there was only one dam and a lady that spents about 5min with you for R100. I set of on my own after renting kit and even though I didnt catch anything I still enjoyed it. If anyone saw me they would probably have laugthed their asses of, but what the hell, you got to learn somewhere.

Anyway. Im going to start looking for my own kit tommorow and would appreciate if anyone could give me some pointers in what to get that would suit a begiiner and not break my pocket. Also would like some information on places where I could go fishing while learning so that I dont upset the more experienced guys.

Thanks guys and hope to soon see some of you next to the water somewhere.

Morne
    Hi Morne,

firstly welcome to the forum you will find all the info you need on this forum the guys are great........i also am a newbie been flyfishing about 6 months.
    I cannot beleive that Dewdale are still advertising,the pictures on the website are of the old fisherie they had before it was expropriated by the goverment as part of the new dam.

I Went with xplorer to start with but you will soon realise on the forum the subject matter of equipment is huge....if you type newbie into the search box you will find all the info you need.......for casting lessons the best guy to vivsit is Phillip Meyer @ Eikendal in Somerset west.

enjoy and once again welcome.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Cool where to go

Hi Morne

welcome! agree with nicholas, Go straight to philip meyer at eikendal (the Rd to somerset west from stellenbosch ) He will show you everything from casting, venues, flies and equipement.

Tx guys, went to look at some equipment today and there is definetly an overwhelming amount of equipment available. It looks that it will cost me about R1200 for a starter kit (sounds right?) I have looked at the information on Eikendal and will definetely try to get there this coming weekend.

This might be a stupid question, but ill ask it anyway. We (wife and me) go 4x4'ing/camping most weekends and mostly next to the sea if I can help it. Is there some sort of rod/reel combination the can be used for both fresh and sea water?
    I do some normal sea fishing and it would be nice to try my luck with salt water fly fishing as well.

Anyone know of any events/ get togethers that a newbie like me can tag along with, just to watch I promise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    Tx guys, went to look at some equipment today and there is definetly an overwhelming amount of equipment available. It looks that it will cost me about R1200 for a starter kit (sounds right?) I have looked at the information on Eikendal and will definetely try to get there this coming weekend.

This might be a stupid question, but ill ask it anyway. We (wife and me) go 4x4'ing/camping most weekends and mostly next to the sea if I can help it. Is there some sort of rod/reel combination the can be used for both fresh and sea water?
    I do some normal sea fishing and it would be nice to try my luck with salt water fly fishing as well.

Anyone know of any events/ get togethers that a newbie like me can tag along with, just to watch I promise.

Thanks
    I have fished the Salt with my #6 freshwater rod – no problem, but then again the largest thing I caught was a brassy kingfish of about 500g. I am under the impression that most guys use #9 for Salt (estuary and surf) – fresh water wise you can use the #9 for big Catfish, Bass and suppose Carp – but most species won’t give you much of a fight on such a strong rod.... my opinion though – it’s not carved in stone! Welcome to the wonderful world of Fly fishing – there is only two kinds on Fly Fisherman 1) tried it once and hated it but will do it again sometime, maybe next year 2) the rest of use – can’t get enough, totally addicted.... consider yourself warned!
    No one does it smaller then me!

Generally, for the average size of fish you catch in freshwater (Trout, bass, yellows etc) a 4 or 5# outfit is the way to go. You could go up to a 6# but i think you will find that its a bit too much for most fresh water situations and you might find yourself wanting in the salt. As a start, get a hold of a either 4/5# if you going to spend most of your time in fresh water or about an 8/9# if you do more in the salt. Unfortunately you will need a different reel (as well as different lines) for each rod. The outfits should cost you around about that figure; R1000-1600 for a 4 and R1800-2400 for an 8 (You'll need a better salt reel than you will a freshie reel, preferably one with a cork drag system, as opposed to a click and pawl drag system on your 4). But as the boys have already said, go chat to Phillip. (He will sort you out. And read, read, read, all the info you need is on this site already!

Also, with regard to outings etc. we are trying to organize a trip with all the CT boys but things are taking a little longer than they should. It will happen one day!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Hi Morne

You can also try Fly-water in Bellville (www.flywaters.co.za) they may be closer to you. Speak to Sean he also offer free casting lessons.

The Cape Piscatorial society (CPS) have their annual Bells fly fishing festival on the 23 en 24 of November. During the festival you go on the river with some of the experienced guys. It helped me a lot when I started out. You also get to know a lot of the guys. Check out the CPS website www.piscator.co.za