Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Trout in Swartberg Pass (Prince Albert)

Default Brown Trout in Swartberg Pass (Prince Albert)

Just an update.

I intended to fish this little stream before CNC poison out all the trout, so just before Nationals, I drove the 6 hour/650km+ roundtrip from Rawsonville to Prince Albert to fish this stream.
    I will go very far to fish an "unfished" stream for brown trout, even further for brookies (that is another story).

The stream vanishes underground within a hundred meters after leaving the mountains - when you drive over it just before the pass starts, it is just another donga in the Karoo, sand & no water.

It is very tiny - makes Upper Lourensford & the Little river look big - see pic 1 & 2 (yes - I am standing in the river, looking upstream - that is the river infront of me!). There are e few deeper & bigger holes, but these are few and far between.

In 1 1/2 hours fishing, I spooked two non-feeding browns, had another fish spook when he swam down his "pool" to find me standing there, then landed one 9 incher on a RAB and drove back - see pic 3 (yes, that is blood - he was bleeding from the tongue, not the gills, and it stopped before I released him)

This stream has NOTHING to fear from fishing presssure or anglers.
    Will I fish it again? Probably not, considering where I live, but I will try to fish around Outshoorn, where there are a couple of other streams with trout.

That said, I am one of a few (handful) of anglers who have ever fished this stream and caught a trout, and I will never forget.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Just an update.

I intended to fish this little stream before CNC poison out all the trout, so just before Nationals, I drove the 6 hour/650km+ roundtrip from Rawsonville to Prince Albert to fish this stream.
    I will go very far to fish an "unfished" stream for brown trout, even further for brookies (that is another story).

The stream vanishes underground within a hundred meters after leaving the mountains - when you drive over it just before the pass starts, it is just another donga in the Karoo, sand & no water.

It is very tiny - makes Upper Lourensford & the Little river look big - see pic 1 & 2 (yes - I am standing in the river, looking upstream - that is the river infront of me!). There are e few deeper & bigger holes, but these are few and far between.

In 1 1/2 hours fishing, I spooked two non-feeding browns, had another fish spook when he swam down his "pool" to find me standing there, then landed one 9 incher on a RAB and drove back - see pic 3 (yes, that is blood - he was bleeding from the tongue, not the gills, and it stopped before I released him)

Will I fish it again? Probably not, considering where I live, but I will try to fish around Outshoorn, where there are a couple of other streams with trout.

That said, I am one of a few (handful) of anglers who have ever fished this stream and caught a trout, and I will never forget.
    Awesome!!! Thanks for the update Gary, and well done!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

beautiful. good work Dary
    the patient mental...

I get so bleak when I think of these silly bastards wanting to poison these fish out of the rivers.

Was at a club meeting the other night where we received an update on the impending legislation which affects alien species.

Apparently pretty much all fosaf and other bodies who submitted proposals have been ignored in the draft legislation, and there is huge inconsistency as to what is being considered for erradication.

Apparently Rainbow trout are on the list for eradication, but brow trout are not. And carp are not because "they're a source of food for many"

Secondhand info, but if anyone has more info, it would be interesting to hear.

Perhaps start another thread.

5. Default

fdavis also fished this a few years ago, but can't remember if he had any success ...

Fred, what did you make out of the stream?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Just an update.

Good stuff Gary thanks for sharing that, I love doing similar little exploratory trips as/when I have the time. One little 15cm brownie or whatever in such a place makes up and is rmemebered for lalways, unlike catching say 20 2kg 'bows in a stewpond
    Cheers - hope the bggers don't poison it out

Blog Entries

Growing up in George this stream is very close to my heart. Its is super thin and the fish are way spooky. Biggest we've seen come out were two 12' - one to me and one to my old man! The trout go miles up and into every trib. There is no ways CNC will be able to poison evry trib effectively - its hard country! The cost will be unbelievablable. They should rather spend money on nailing the hackia and wattle!

There is some class fishing in the Oudshoorn area. My old man tells me that two months again a parent at his school got 3 6lb + rainbows from a dam that is self stocking... Don't bother asking I'll tell you have join me and I'll show you! Some good river fishing on both sides of the mountains...
    Last edited by fdavis; 27-10-07 at 01:19 AM.

I must say, although I respect CNC and value their efforts to protect our indigenous fish immensely, their are certain decisions that they are making that I just cannot understand and don't agree with, and one of them is their intention to rotenone this little stream. I would like to know more; what indigenous fish are in this stream that demand such protection and exclusivity? Is this stream not just a soft target, by virtue of it's size? Sounds like a case of 'got some rotenone, must use!'
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Chris, its not even a CNC thing, its happening up here too. Like I said in my previous post, there is some very strange legislation being put into place, that makes no sense to even the hardened environmentalists and conservationists. I know a couple of these guys who work for KZN Wildlife and some who contract, and they say there is real cause for concern.

It would seem there is huge inconsistency as to how exotic species are going to be dealt with. From the reports I have heard, it would appear as if the Rainbow Trout is so evil, it might as well have been forged by the devil himself, whilst fish like Carp, which no doubt cause far greater problems, are to be left pretty much untouched.

Ironically, there is even a story on this in Wolf's new book, which I received during the week, and I can't help agreeing with his take on the situation.

One only has to look at the river and tributatries in and around his area, which shows some of the highest biodiversity scores ever recorded in the country, and yet they are teeming with rainbow trout.

Of course trout are predators and will feed opportunistically, but I highly doubt as to whether they would wipe out entire populations of indigenous species. Unfortunately, I think the blame is more fairly placed on the shoulder's of man, should that happen, as these fish are under far more threat from polution, poor farming practices and other human made problems rather than the immigrant fish they happen to share their pool with.

I can't help thinking that this whole issue of making the Rainbow Trout the scapegoat is more a political issue than an environmental one.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 28-10-07 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    I can't help thinking that this whole issue of making the Rainbow Trout the scapegoat is more a political issue than an environmental one.
    I agree with you Shaun. Obviously a 100% success rate would also look good on paper, so what do they do to acieve that? They simply target the smallest streams! **** man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast