Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any pointers on where to start?????

Default Any pointers on where to start?????

Hi All

I picked up a fly rod by chance earlier this year when visting Dunkeld Country Estate. So it went on and know i'm planning my dec holiday around fly fishing.

Been looking in bookshops for a decent "how to get started" guide but only managed to find stuff written by oversea's guys. Any suggestions on where to look or search to get up and running for SA salt water fly fishing? (I basically need Lesson #1 to do this thing properly) Also need salt water gear, rods, reels the whole story so if anybody has some second hand stuff for sale in the Gauteng area??
    Going to Sea Park, South Coast and later hopefully up north to Kosi Bay and surrounds.

By the way i've read Gogga's article on the south coast and it was BRILLIANT, actually made a print...

cheers
    Philip

Hi Philip,

Welcome to the site,

I assume you live in the Gauteng area, visit one of your local fly shops - Charles Stewart (Centurion) Angling Africa, Mark Yelland The Fly Shop , Dean Riphagen and Tome Lewin Frontier Fly Fishing, Ricko and Murray Flyfishers Unlimited (Fourways). These guys are all very knowledgable, offer casting lessons etc.

You can also contact Sudesh Pursad through his website http://www.bamba.co.za, he can offer more info. on the South Coast. Tell him to sign up here and post all his hints, tips etc.

Cheers

Philip

Hi there Philip

I agree with fish. The best, maybe a little expensive, way forward is to spend a day with a guy like Sudesh. He works and lives in Gauteng, but regularly fishes in Natal. Even spending a day with him on the Vaal and just discussing the salt should be of great value to you.

Enjoy
    MC

Gogga Banned User

Hi Philip,

Fly fishing in salt water (swff'ing) isn't rocket science, All you need to do is understand the basic foundations of the environment you intend to fish. Then fish it accordingly.

There are two ways you can do this - the hard way or the wise way, I always look for the wise way.

In this I mean that wherever I find myself fishing anywhere in the world, I always speak to the locals first.

A fly guide is is first prize - a fellow swiffer is second prize and so the list goes on till about 10th prize where I have to rely on hearsay - or a few scribbled notes from an acquaintance.

So if possible find a guide for the area you intend to fish. pick his brains for all the time you have him (you have paid after-all) and store this knowledge - you are going to need it the next time you pick up your rod and go swiffing.

Guides know what they are doing - otherwise they would doing day jobs like you and I - so learn from them.

Try and fish with other swiffers, most of the guy's I have met on a beach, reef, saltwater marsh / lagoon's are really genuine guy's - we all know that we are pushing the envelope and are therefore always willing to talk and share information - I always have an extra fly or two with me - and have given (and received) dozens of flies in this manner.

Talk to as many fisher people as you can in the locality, you will be amazed at the information you can get out of a tackle dealer (and his clientele) - few will give you the hot spots, but many will direct you in the right general direction.

And finally, read, read, read and read again, there are fantastic books written on the subject, and the Internet is an amazing source of knowledge.

It's all up to you at the end of day - and I hope you have an incredible journey, as I have had, and hook stacks of fish along the way.

All the best
    Mike

I encourage to watch this video (again and again)- it really encapsulates all there is about this crazy sport.

http://www.drakemag.com/film_2006/clip_08.wmv
    Last edited by Gogga; 09-11-06 at 06:54 PM.

Hi Guys

Had a look at that "clip" Mike mentioned, awesome stuff!! and Philip believe you me, look and listen closely to the video and you will learn allot out of it, but nothing beats the real thing! On your holiday to the beach like Mike said, have a chat to the local fisherman and even better if you can catch "salty" in act, pic his brain to how, what and when....your are more than half way there! ...and keep on trying, nothing beats that first fish caught on a saltwater fly!

Mike send some more of these clips...
    Last edited by Bokoms; 09-11-06 at 08:59 PM.

Hi Mike,

That is a kick ass clip and ecapsulates the whole saltwater adventure. After all the human brain consists of 80% salt water.

Kudos

Thanks Mike, great video, please can you post another one, maybe of some Salmon fishing??
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Gogga Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Thanks Mike, great video, please can you post another one, maybe of some Salmon fishing??
    OK ,I will scratch around in my library and see what I can find. I'll post the the clips in the appropriate places.

All the best
    Mike

PS - glad you liked it........

Gogga Banned User

OK here is another salty one - Hope you enjoy. (sorry I'm a swiffer nut)

http://www.fliesandfins.com/fishvideos/jasonmexico.wmv

Just to show I'm to biased, here is a bit of Salmon for you Max - Don't you just love the banjo (he he)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VD4WnT3nt8

OK here is one of my all time favorites - (I have full video now)
    Go to link and click on bottom right corner and download file - ( you are going to love this one - he he)

http://www.howardfilms.com/chasingsilverTrailer4.html

(OK go to go - I'm flying to Oz in three hours - so Ill look on my lap top for more tonight (on the plane) and post them from "down under" ).

All the best
    Mike
    Last edited by Gogga; 09-11-06 at 11:48 PM.

Have a good trip Mike, give those fish in OZ hell!

Let me know if you want any pointers in NZ (if you are prepared to stoop to trout-fishing ).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast