Thread: Control Fly weight in grams

Default Control Fly weight in grams

Hi Guys,

Ok we've chat about weight and wires and beads and what not but my question is how much is it suppose to weigh?

Lets do it this way;

Very heavy = ......grams
    Heavy = ......grams
    Medium = ......grams
    Light = ......grams

Please any comments?

No replies yet so I guess no one knows the weight of their flies.Hey,I don't either that's why I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Hi Guys,

Ok we've chat about weight and wires and beads and what not but my question is how much is it suppose to weigh?

Lets do it this way;

Very heavy = ......grams
    Heavy = ......grams
    Medium = ......grams
    Light = ......grams

Please any comments?
    NOTE - while the the actual mass is important, so is the density!
    A bulky fly may have the same mass as a slim fly, but will have a lower density (as wells as more drag) and will sink slower than the slim fly.

These masses relate to control flies specifically and are my guidelines.

Extremely heavy = 2.0+ grams
    Very heavy = 1.6-2.0 grams
    Heavy = 1.2-1.6 grams
    Medium = 1.0-1.2 grams
    Light = 0.6-1.0 grams
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Yup I'm not a rocket scientist but I try tie them as compactly/heavy yet as slim as possible with minimal 'fluff' (unlike my other general nymphs) for faster sink rate and test them in the swimming pool for an approximate sink rate - not very scientific but it gives me a guide. I sort of rate them like a curry - mild (light), medium, hot (heavy) and I suppose those ultra-heavy moulded lead bodied one's would be the equivalent of a Nando's Ringburner. Also the type/b.s. of tippet and what/where other flies you've on the leader also compounds the situation and sink rate. Also I find of course a quick upstream mend helps them sink them to the target zone quicker. I do try to test the sink rate on the completed leader in a non-productive section of the river before fishing just to get a guide and if necessary to adjust the control fly accordingly, but usually that's in slack water and the real proof of the pudding seems to be when actually fishing for real, and changing control flies for the heavier perhaps if one isn't successful in 'tapping' the bottom

On a side topic Gary, I've been looking for an electronic scale that can do fractions of grams & the only ones I've seen are medical quality and over R2K for the scale.

Do you know of a good releatively cheap brand and/or supplier ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Yep Scythe that's the reason I don't weight mine (though I agree with Gary, one should aim to be as objective as possible) - I don't have a sensitive enough scale

Scythe

Have a look at the scales used by guys that re-load their own ammunition. These are not electronic and measure in grains, but they are extremely accurate. The conversion from grains to grams is also very simple.

Cheers
    MC

In order to achieve consistency in weight and sink rate, we prepared set weight formulas for control flies.

Basically five different weights were decided on and then we used a scale to measure out the required ingredients. The recipes are then simply used in a standard style of dressing in order to achieve the consistency.

A recipe would be something like: two 3.5 mm tungsten beads, 15 cm's of 0,20 lead wire and a # 4 circle hook. This would for example give you a weight of 1 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Scythe

Have a look at the scales used by guys that re-load their own ammunition. These are not electronic and measure in grains, but they are extremely accurate. The conversion from grains to grams is also very simple.

Cheers
    MC
    Thanks will give it a go, there's an arms and ammo place up the road will check it out - good idea!

Thanks MCC, will go give the local arms place a look-see.

Being that I'm a recreational fisher only (allthough my competitive streak pops it's head out all the time) I'm not too concerned about the weighting, it's just one of those, 'need to know' things.

I simply need to know how and why things work, call it OCD, that's why I ask way too many questions, just ask Gary
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.