Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rock worm paterns

Default Rock worm paterns

Could someone please point me to directions on tying the rock worm pattern, specially the ultra rock worm, olive rock worm and any other pattern that will work well on sm yellows?

Try this link:

http://www.ganador.co.za/gccf.html

That one is Ginger though, but good colour With step by step tying instructions, materials, etc too.
    Also do them in Olive/Black (Body/Thorax), Cream/Brown, Chartreuse/Black.
    Also without beads, and in sizes #8 down to #14.
    This is a good imitation for the green rock worm (in lite olive/ or chratreuse and black) and the brown caddis larvae that exist on the Vaal.

Instead of the Thin Skin for the back, you could use Amstel Lager six-pack wrapping (green plastic), Nymph Skin, etc.

Michael, I'm quite enjoying the fly tying on your site. Very interesting!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

This is one that I tied for the fly swap III
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Gael, you willing to part with the tying instructions?

Gael,
    Please give details on the photo - camera? macro lens? light etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Michael, I'm quite enjoying the fly tying on your site. Very interesting!
    Thanks Daryl...I'll be adding a lot more in the next few days/weeks. There were a few begginners who asked me for patterns so I thought what they hey, give it to everyone.

Gael, that fly looks good. The proportions in it's bum is right too.

YF

I used a bottom of the range Canon A140 on it’s macro setting, real cheap thing, dam thing doesn’t have a manual focus which is a real pain.

The trick with photographing flies is:
    -Lighting, the most important thing. Here I’ve got light coming from above and from the front, just above the camera. There are reflectors below the vice to bounce the light back from above onto the fly. There are many ways to achieve this, the easiest is probably to stick some tinfoil to cardboard pieces and hold them in position with prestick.
    - Use a tripod to hold the camera, I use a small cheap one about 15 high with a lockable ball and socket head to adjust the angle, most of the photo developing places stock something like this for under R100.
    - Use the timer function, helps to get the focus right especially if you don’t have a manual focus like I do.
    - make sure you have the correct white balance setting for the lighting that you are using (cold or warm fluorescent and tungsten bulbs)
    - Sometimes tweaking the aperture setting one up from the camera’s autosensing delivers better colours

When I eventually decide to get a decent camera, one thing I would like to find is one with a numerical value for the manual focus, you can’t always be 100% sure it’s in focus from the tiny screen. That way you note the focus setting when taking the photopragh and if it’s slightly out you can go back to you original setting and tweak it either way to get a better a better result, hopefully

Regarding the fly:
    Hook: Tiemco or Grip heavy wire scud, tied here on a 14, smaller than that becomes a pain
    Bead: 2.5mm used here on the size 14 (brass or tungsten)
    Weight: 3 turns of 0.02” lead wire under thorax
    Underbody: medium pearl tinsel (under the vinyl rib)
    Abdomen: med vinyl rib, amber used here but feel free to play around
    Rib: mono tippet (should have used brown mono here but couldn’t find mine at the time)
    Abdomen cover: brown scudback
    Thorax: rabbit dubbing, used black here but other colours like brown also work.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

May have no need to lie.
    Amen

If you really want to get fancy you could add two ostrich herl for gills either side ala Oliver Edwards style (Paul Thornton also does this) on the horizontal line where the scudback meets the vinyl rib.

May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Default Seeing that this is a rock worm thread I'll continue here

I'm in two minds about how to ty my standard rock worm for the comming season. Has any one had the same delemma and pitted the two options against each other.

Option one: Caddis style just smaller

Option two: Midge style like a zebra midge or Tiger midge

Should we put this on a poll?
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast