Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Fly Swop - Saltwater III

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    I think the trick with candies is to never apply the epoxy in one go. Those ones I tied for the swap have got three coats! The mylar is precut to slightly longer than the shank, and placed over the shank like a condom! (If that doesn't get a response from OMR then nothing will )then its tied off behind the eye. I then pulled the mylar tight and tied it off using a whip finish above the barb.(thats the tricky bit!) The excess bits of mylar that stick out from the front and back are then cut off. So hopefully the thread on the nose can perform all the functions you mentioned - body, flash and shape. The body is thread first, thick lead wrapped in and then thread again. On top of that went the zonkers, fur trimmed off. Doesn't have to be neat cos the mylar hides it all. Use a small a blob of epoxy and really work it into the materials. Then the mylar and flash. Another small epoxy blob worked in to keep everthing in the right place. Tie in the lateral line flash, stick on the eyes which should all adhere to the epoxy. Coat with a big blob of epoxy and let your roatary vice do the rest!
    Hell that took long I need to learn to type faster!
    I think I understand... You just slip the mylar over the body and then tie of at the eye and above the barb.... I TRIED THAT! It looked crap! The mylar bunches together at the eye and forms those little ridges. So now I tie it in just behind the eye but with the mylar facing away from the vice (covering the eye) whip it there. Then fold the tube back over and tie off again above the barb like you do, It looks much better now but still not PERFECT. My question is, how do you get rid of the ridges doing it your way??
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    My question is, how do you get rid of the ridges doing it your way??
    Before tying in the mylar, try to form a small cone head with your thread which tapers off smoothly. In all honesty don't let the ridges bug you, the final coat of epoxy and the stick on eyes should hide them!
    In hindsight I should have photographed the sequence
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Cool, got it. Will give it a bash vanaand. Thanks.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,

would love to join in BUT time is my issue. Little short notice!!

Next time!

Perchance you're too busy thinking of a name for your boat?!

Thumbs up Shot!

Gave the Surf Candy another bash! Came out quite nice I think! The trick is the multiple coats of epoxy! Thanks for the tip! Made it a bit shorter than usual as Im planning on picking up a few smallish Elf tomorrow morning. Here is a pic. (constructive criticism welcome)
    Attachment 1500

Default I Think

I think it looks like a nicely constructed fly - *** forbid you to compare it to mine. Mine looks like the dogs lunch.
    NOTICE :

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice
    is not worth noticing thank you for
    NOTICING

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PezVela View Post
    would love to join in BUT time is my issue. Little short notice!! Next time!
    This is a pity as I really like your flies!
    But HERE is what you are asking for!

Last edited by Wiets; 10-11-07 at 04:59 AM.

Wiets Banned User

Here is the final list of participants
    Wiets
    Rory
    Rols
    FishWhisperer
    Honda2
    Richy Fish-Fingers

OK, listen up!
    Each participant must tie 6 flies.
    Please ensure that the flies are mailed by no later than 30 November 2007 - see the first message for postal address.
    Remember to include your forum name, your real name and return address.
    No need for self addressed envelopes or stamps.
    This time around, I will take pictures of the flies and post it on this forum.
    I hope to mail the flies back to everybody during the first week of December 2007.
    I will also post mail tracking numbers here on this forum.

Happy tying!
    Last edited by Wiets; 10-11-07 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Gave the Surf Candy another bash! Came out quite nice I think! The trick is the multiple coats of epoxy! Thanks for the tip! Made it a bit shorter than usual as Im planning on picking up a few smallish Elf tomorrow morning. Here is a pic. (constructive criticism welcome)
    Attachment 1500
    Super Fly!! Nothing wrong with that!
    Heres a pic of that wobbler shrimp. I think this one in the pic is supposed to be a squid? Anyways anybody like that, or should I tie some of Bricky's Cockroaches?
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.