Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Flats boots wanted / advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    shell have to come to Cosmo cause were going there on honeymoon!)
    Oh what I would give to be a fly on the wall when you bring that subject up!!!

Pierre makes a really good point which I missed out on... and thats how comfort in your feet, can effect your whole body, not just your feet. Your back and legs will be punished if your feet are not properly protected.

As much of a paradise as Sey is, its still HARD work... wading against an incomming tide in that place will kick your ass! And fishing on the outer reefs, in 3 to 4 feet of water, with waves and broken coral, 35 degree plus heat, casting a 12 weight.... you need all the help you can get to maintain... I pushed myself on the first day on my trip, and didn't drink enough water... after a couple hours, my entire body was in cramps, and I mean entire body!

I was lying in a little cave on the beach trying to rest, and the tide started coming in, and I simply COULD NOT move because of the cramping... Arms, legs, feet, hands, neck... everything was in its moer... old man had to help me out of the cave when the tide started getting a little close for comfort... Not funny...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    ................ My understanding is that those booties are for diving, not fishing ???
    Not actually. They don't fit into flippers easily.

The blurb from the manufacturer is:

Your feet take a beating during extreme watersport. Protect them with Sportboot.
    Ideal for Jet Skiing, Fishing, Canoeing, Diving, Sailing, Canyoneering etc.
    SportBoot Features:HEAVY DUTY SOLE: Provides excellent grip and protection
    5mm NEOPRENE UPPER: Snug and warm, even in colder waters
    YKK SIDE ENTRY ZIPPER: Easy to doff & don and very secure
    HEEL & TOE CAPS: Extra protection for your vulnerable areas

Don't get me wrong, I'm not promoting the boot at all. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually used this particular brand for whatever reason. (not Stealth, Xplorer, Snowbee, Hodgman, Tupperware, Addis etc. versions.) At the end of the day, the right equipment for the situation at hand wins.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    Not actually. They don't fit into flippers easily.

The blurb from the manufacturer is:

Your feet take a beating during extreme watersport. Protect them with Sportboot.
    Ideal for Jet Skiing, Fishing, Canoeing, Diving, Sailing, Canyoneering etc.
    SportBoot Features:HEAVY DUTY SOLE: Provides excellent grip and protection
    5mm NEOPRENE UPPER: Snug and warm, even in colder waters
    YKK SIDE ENTRY ZIPPER: Easy to doff & don and very secure
    HEEL & TOE CAPS: Extra protection for your vulnerable areas

Don't get me wrong, I'm not promoting the boot at all. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually used this particular brand for whatever reason. (not Stealth, Xplorer, Snowbee, Hodgman, Tupperware, Addis etc. versions.) At the end of the day, the right equipment for the situation at hand wins.
    I've got a snowbee pair that I use for wading and float tubing stillwaters. They have zero ankle support, and walking over rough/steep terrian is a bit of a challenge. There's no way I'd use them in the salt on the bricks or wading coral reefs etc. Wading sandy areas, I reckon they'd be ok, but definitely not rocky/uneven stuff.

I have a pair of Simms Flats boots that have lasted a trip to both Farquhar and Cosmo.
    One of my mates had a pair of Chota wading boots that he uses on the Vaal and also had no difficulties, bar the fact that they are a lot heavier than the flats boots. There is definitely an advantage to wearing a pair of shoes that have already been worn in.
    Stay away from the booties, a friend of a friend also tried to cut corners and bought the booties and his feet where finished half way through - trip ruined!
    As an added bonus I wear my Flats boots when fishing dams i.e Sterkies. They function much better than normal wading boots when walking on land .
    I have even worn my flats boots to a club in the Sey...stylish

Guys, I have read this thread with great interest. I have not and probably never will get to fish the Seychelles or any other exoctic location.
    From the descriptions of what the reefs and coral, tides, waves etc. are like I would go as far as saying that they seem very similar to wading certain spots on the Vaal.
    When I started f/f the vaal I used simple track shoes. After 1 day at Silverstrome ( which is quite easy wading acrually ) in flows of 50 cumecs my toes and ankles were soooo sore that the next working day I went and bought a pair of Chota's. I have fished the Vaal every weekend ( winter & summer) for 16 months since then and they are still ok.
    When they do eventualy die I MAY have a look at the SIMMS Freestones, budget permitting of course

BTW, a few weeks ago I saw some aspirant fisherman wading Geelvisparadys BAREFOOT , Those who know the venue will understand my feeling of impending doom when I saw them go out.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

SWAMBO came to the rescue with an early Christmas prezzie - a pair of Marlwalkers will be going with :-)

Nice!!! Nice boots those!!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3