Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Flies for the estuaries

Default 3 Flies for the estuaries

If you had to limit yourself to 3 style of flies for southern and eastern cape estuaries, what would they be? Different sizes and colour recommendations also appreciated. Targeted species leeries and skipjack, but must have something for the grunter in case they appear.

Chattreuse & White Clouser Minnow
    Only fly I've had success on in Knysna, but purely because it's the only fly I've tried on the 2 occasions I'e fished there
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

I would take some woolhead and silicone mullets as well as some flippers with white and white and chartreuse tails. I like some with white and pink tails as well. These colour combinations for the silicones will also work. Obviously in varying sizes.
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Howdy Kevin,

Again, I'm a total n00b where this is concerned, but if I can catch the amount of fish I did while fishing one fly only in the Gamtoos ... then it's got to be a winner.

Olive over white clouser, varying sizes (up to 15cm), got Leerfish, Kob and Mullet on them.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

my choice would be:
    • clouser
    • salty bugger
    • crease fly

My choice:
    Mud charlies
    Clousers - Chartreuse/white, olive/white, pink/white, olive/tan and plain chartreuse
    Flippers - Tan, white
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Hi kevin

# flipper
    # clouser(olive/white)
    # mud charlie
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

I concur with Mr Smith..... ( and Rory )

If I could add one fly to that, it would be a Cockroach.... They land softer and sink slower than the Clouser and Charlie, and are dynamite.... Especially in skinny water, or around spooky fish
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Mmmm, something of a concensus which is surprising. Does anyone have a pic of a mud charlie - is this a crazy charlie variant? What sizes would the flies be?

Hi there Kevin

The Mud Charlie is a basic Charlie tied on a # 2 or # 4 Hook, Brass bead chain eyes, Coppery Olive larva lace body, Olive Calftail & two/four Olive Grizzly hackle tips for the wing.

When I fish in water that holds both Skippies and Leeries, I choose to fish flies that both will eat well. This normally means that the popper stays out of the water.

Sparsely dressed Clousers tied on # 1 hooks with Olive or Chartreuse or Pink over white is a good choice.

I would however prefer flies with slightly more movement. Rabbit strip patterns, especially something like the Double Bunny or a simple white Rabbit strip tail, palmered white rabbit on the shank, one turn of light pink cactus chenille at the head and finished with a silver Conehead.

These patterns are awesome searching flies and both the Leeries and Skippies eat them well. Once you have established that the Skippies are there, you can switch to something like a small #4 or # 2 Olive cockroach pattern. If the Skippies are not around, then it is time to pull some serious poppers.

We used to fish the Mud Charlies for Grunter and they took a few fish. In stead of this pattern I would rather suggest a Baited Breath Fly in Olive/Brown/Tan. These patterns have also taken a lot of Grunter for us, but again the better movement will convince a few Skippies.

Enjoy the fishing.

MC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast