Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Favourate top dropper fly in 3 fly rig setup for yellows spesifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I tie some with stiff hackles, and some with 2 barbs stiff hackle and 2 barbs soft hackle combined. The soft hackle gives a bit of extra movement. Does it help, don't know, but when the the going is really tough, it gives me a little bit more confidence. Had good success with bright red, synthetic fibres as tails as well. Let me know how the fly performed.
    thanks for the info. i'll give it a bash (when i eventually get to the river again)
    the patient mental...

Hi Korrie,

Don't u find that it doesn't matter if ur tying soft or stiff hackles for tails that after getting wet,the tail becomes "one" anyway?

G

Not if you splay them correctly.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Hi Korrie,

Don't u find that it doesn't matter if ur tying soft or stiff hackles for tails that after getting wet,the tail becomes "one" anyway?

G
    maybe they become one, put the 2 stiff hackles on the outside and the softer ones combined on the inside.
    It is very important to fish this on a very soft mono, if you can even a little loop at the end.
    I've had very good success holding the fly "still" in a pocket with moving water. Just lifting the fly up and down two or three times.

Wink The way of the Dassie

Phylum: Chordata
    Subphylum: Vertebrata
    Class: Mammalia
    Order: Hyracoidea
    Family: Procaviidae
    Genus: Procavia
    Species: Procavia capensis

Cape hyraxes produce large, communal piles of dung and urine that eventually congeal into a sticky mass. This substance (hyraceum) has been used by humans as a medicine for treating epilepsy, convulsions, and "women's disorders."

Go get your dassie hair now boys because it seems the swambo's got some disorders that can also be treated by Dassie dung and urine. Go ask Swambo if you can have a dassie as a pet - you then have reason not to pick up the pooh and a life supply of hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Bertu. Please will you post a pic of your point fly (cant remember the name but it is the same as the one you gave Dave that he is forever trying not to loose so we can see what it looks like.
    Ur talking about his one?
    Ja I like it too,just need to get some orange thread 1st.Oh,is there a wingcase on scythe's fly?Can't see to leke on the pic.
    There is a wingcase, or you can tie it without. Either FB or something simple and not so shiny. The variant there is a pic of on the FlySwap III thread is largely untested but it is a refinement of the usual pattern so it should graft even better with fussy fish feeding in slower water...

Oh yeah, it doesn't need orange thread only, the orange helps to imitate a very specific species of MF that hatches early season. I've also tied the Casemaker wiith Brown, Black, Olive, Cream, etc.

Then you just vary your body and thorax colours to fit the appropriate species/hatch.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    i think my biggest concern would be that using a tungsten bead PLUS all the copper wire on the fly, it would almost be like a control fly. it would start acting unnaturally when in the water - well, that depends if there are any goggas out there that naturally sink like stones!
    I think part of the choice comes down to other factors such as water flow and the size of the fly. I usually fish reasonably small flies (size 16 2x short scud hooks) and I like to use tungsten.

One thing to bare in mind is that your style of CZ nymphing also dictates the weighting of your flies. Two anglers I regularly fish with, Pieter Kriel and Terry Babich both have totally different styles and because of this they weight their flies totally differently, Terry very heavy and Pieter very light.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5