Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Identifying your catch

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    oh ok. I used to see them when spearfishing back in Durbz and guys always told me it was a ladder wrasse. Thanks for setting that straight. As Wade said, learn something new everyday.
    Hi Josh

Read your PM (private message on top right of screen)
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

OK, here goes: the fish in question is a rainbow wrasse (Thalassoma purpureum) according to Van Der Elst's A Guide to the Common Sea Fishes of
    Southern Africa. A very good book and a bit easier to use than Smith's.
    The real ladder wrasse (T. trilobatum) is a more pinkies- orange shade with the blue markings. Not much green.

And here is a length to weight ratio for... let me see... I'll choose a Garrick!
    A 75cm fish will be around 4kg, 100cm just over 10kg. I have to read these off a parabolic line so rather send me the lengths you want and i'll check it up if i have time (or buy the book!).

Awesome information Clarias.

Now, have you had a haircut yet curly ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

I worry about the type of guys you used to hang around with in Durbs who could confuse those two..

Default what is this?

pulled this little guy from out in front of a bone... couldnt believe the little bugger. what on earth is it?

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3442/ishot760.jpg
    Last edited by petercoetzee; 26-10-09 at 02:23 PM.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Its called a pursemouth- don't know the latin offhand.

They're a pretty common group of fishes that live over sand shallows in the tropics (right down to SA too). They use their large mouths to filter fine stuff out of the sand.

That's the biggest one I've seen- where was it caught?

The genus is Gerres- try google it. I'm not sure what the fish in known as internationally, but our SA species is the Smallscale Pursemouth. Hope this helps

seychelles... they were so aggressive it was a nightmare trying to get charlies to other fish. pretty strong though would have been a good match on a 2wt
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Plenty pursemouths locally as well on the North Coast. You can see them a plenty in the KOsi Bay lakes. Deadly as a live bait for Mr. GT or tossed to a big Rock Salmon holed up in the sticks.
    Better know here as Pouter.
    Last edited by HolyGT; 28-10-09 at 01:24 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456