Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
Guy's what about the Gray's?
I have a 5wt Grays Missionarry and a 4/5 wt grays streamflex. For yellowfish Vaal or Orange rivers, I use the Streamflex with Rio yellowfish line on an Abel super 5 The Abel reel is not essential, as I believe any reasonably tough reel with a smooth drag should do well for yellows. I love the Streamflex/ Rio combination, as it is highly sensitive to subtle takes, as well as giving me the ability to cast a line out when i need to swing the flies through shallower glides and riffles. I generally find that a6 or 8 pound leader of 6 to 8 ft works well for me. Attached directly to the yellowfish line gives the ability to CZ nymph, as well as short line nymphing and longer upstream nymphing , without having to change the leader setup. The rod can cast a 3 fly weighted rig adequately with enough distance to produce fish in most conditions.
Also enough power to haul a sizeable yellowfish back upstream quickly.
My only complaint is that the orange tip of the yellowfish line tends to fade.
If I am going to CZ nymph only, with a length or lumo green or orange mono onto the reel, I would choose the missionary, but with the Vaal flows being low as they are, I find this technique to be limiting.