Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5 Top Dry flies for Cape streams

Default 5 Top Dry flies for Cape streams

Hi Guys

I was looking thru the old threads for some inspiration on what flies to tie for my Dry fly box and was wondering what the preferred flies on the Cape stream would be.

All I could get together was that MCC would have a whole box of Black and Brown Parachute Adams And Darryl RAB’s in size 10 to 26. Grant will have MSA hoppers with some Hunchbacks.

Please help me out. What would the 5 Dry flies be that u cannot go without?

RAB's, Para Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, Para Caddis and a few hopper or other terrestrial imitations
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Mnr Mafia, The MSA Hopper is old news!

Remember that CDC I gave you in Parys? Here is a way to put it to good use!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Mnr Mafia, The MSA Hopper is old news!

Remember that CDC I gave you in Parys? Here is a way to put it to good use!
    Grant, give him one of those lakka little cdc mayflies that you gave me.

I thought the one i gave you was the one in that photo, or are you talking about the Parachute mayfly with the cdc post?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    I thought the one i gave you was the one in that photo, or are you talking about the Parachute mayfly with the cdc post?
    Ja , the para one. Frikkin deadly man. Should be illegal. I have tied a few of my own but they don't look as cute as yours. i was going to try them out yesterday, but woke up, took a look at the weather......chickened out.

Ja Andre - lekker fly that - it's the one with the goose bit body? hehehe.

If you guys want to have a look at a seriously good fly tying forum, take a gander at this one run by Dennis Shaw:

http://www.ukflydressing.proboards83.com/index.cgi

You will need to register to view the step by step section but it is well worth it. It is a magnitude of tying techniques and patterns that have helped improve my tying a lot in the last six months. Must be the best resource for fly tying on the internet. (Andre this is the one I was telling you and Leonard about last week - have a good look at this one!). There's one or two step by steps by yours truely on there, and a couple from Liam too.

If I may add one to the list that has already been mentioned, it will be the Royal Wulff. Being one of the old traditionals, it is often overlooked, but it still remains one of my favourite dry flies for opportunistic feeding patches. Trout absolutely love it and it sticks out like a sore thumb to the angler, which is a big plus when your eyes pass the 40yr old threshold
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Yes the RW is also one of my favorites Chris, although a biaatch to tie on a #16 or18
    Grant ja the one with the goose bits, fished with a seduced take while wearing your chobies.........

Thanks Grant

That fly looks awesome will definately try it out. What about your other 3 top flies?

One more question that CDC soft, is it a CDC body with a Soft Hackle or do you tie in some CDC with the soft hackle.

André Where are your top 5, Bread and butter flies?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast