Thread: Help on landing carp,bass and barbell

Default Help on landing carp,bass and barbell

Hi guys,

I was at the St.Stithians dam and at Kloofzicht this weekend and the carp were going mad but could I get one to take my fly(yes it was a carp fly), no way! So please can someone give me some advice on catching these carp because some of them are huge and apparently they give you a hell of a fight.

Then I saw some massive barbell rising at Kloofzicht too, some help on them too. And then some help on bass and yellows too please(Going to yellowfish Paradise soon,is it a good spot and can you recommend some other spots too please).

a) Flies, Retrievel speeds etc

Thanks Brad

Hi Brad, if you search on the main site, i know there is a long article on how to catch carp. worth the read

Barbel , personally i use , a very heavy woolly bugger with a big tail, the way i fish for them is , 3 casts landing in the water and pulling it out again, making that swoosh ( sucking sound) in the water, 4th cast let it sink and leave it about 1min, then a very erratic retrieve. took lots of barbel at kloofzight like that.

Losts of yellow fish threads in the yellow fish topic. just search in there , will give you lots of help

Hope it helps

Cheers
    "Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time."

Fantastic Ill do just that, thanks very much.

I have been targetting carp in the pools and eddies of the vaal this season quite a bit and I have found that if they are either going to take pretty big attractor type flies like wooly buggers and carp fritzes they do so quite aggresively. I have had the most success on really small imitative patterns like grhe's, bloodworms and brassie and stalking right up to carp and dropping my fly in front of them so dont write "czech nymphing" carp completely
    Check your knots!