Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Drop Shot Plastics = a fly in the making?

Question Drop Shot Plastics = a fly in the making?

Having seen many silicon "flies" such as the Jam Fly and the silicone mullet I was wondering why we don't just go out and buy a packet of Berkley Soft plastics, a pack of lightly weighted jig hooks and start fishing these imitations on a fly rod?

Seriously.

I know that they are designed for "drop shot" and all the rest but it is imitative fishing and it is a fly line delivery, so what difference does it make that the lure on the end is plastic? With all the synthetic material being used out there these days where do you draw the line and why should you draw a line?

For me it's more a matter of making your own. I also use silicone in some of my flies, but its the tying that i enjoy. But i'm sure if you're buying flies it makes no difference if you're using a bright green deertail thing or a bright green plastic worm...
    For me there is no line, I tie with whatever i can find and am known to occasionally even use bait!!!! Here comes the haircut AARGGHH
    (sorry, running joke!).
    I only really do this for barbel though and sometimes carp in dirty water, but i don't count them as fly caught then...

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    Having seen many silicon "flies" such as the Jam Fly and the silicone mullet I was wondering why we don't just go out and buy a packet of Berkley Soft plastics, a pack of lightly weighted jig hooks and start fishing these imitations on a fly rod?

Seriously.

I know that they are designed for "drop shot" and all the rest but it is imitative fishing and it is a fly line delivery, so what difference does it make that the lure on the end is plastic? With all the synthetic material being used out there these days where do you draw the line and why should you draw a line?
    They work better if you get some of those cool flavoured dips... then you should replace your fly reel with a coffee grinder, you'll get a better distance on your cast
    Last edited by Byron; 27-11-07 at 08:02 PM.

What is a Jam Fly? A sweet tasting thing i could use for those carp?

Don't forget the poliesman...aggg strike indicator
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

Seriously.

hi stuart
    you ever tied a silicone before? trust me it's not just about "plastic". you spin a cr&p house full of material and then get your fingers and tongue full of silicone and you know what happens with the cloth you use to wipe off the silicone....you pick it up again for some delicate work and get yourself full of silicone once again. eish it's definately not about just going out and buying. for me there is a thrill about tying and when i look at my silicones now, theyre not half bad. the line for me is that i've learnt to tie a better silicone, and prefer it to buying plastic, yeuch.
    drop shot is effective, but look at their lures and colours etc, it's not that far off from what we are tying. i'm only talking about the flies here, the fishing discipline is another story. i watch them and our flies are there.. their way of getting them in the zone and the rough surf spots is the telling factor.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by clarias View Post
    What is a Jam Fly? A sweet tasting thing i could use for those carp?
    The JAM fly is a silicone based fly created by MCC and two of his mates targetting Grunters.
    It is featured in the latest book "Favoured Flies and Select Techniques of the Experts - Volume 3".

Sorry I can't scan the JAM fly image in the book!
    I will probably get sued for copyright infringement.

Seriously.

*climbs under computer desk and assumes the brace position*

Will someone let me know when the war is over please?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    The JAM fly is a silicone based fly created by MCC and two of his mates targetting Grunters.
    It is featured in the latest book "Favoured Flies and Select Techniques of the Experts - Volume 3".

Sorry I can't scan the JAM fly image in the book!
    I will probably get sued for copyright infringement.
    Wiets - you have no idea how funny it is that you said that about that particular book bru!

WAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA - They have no right whatsoever to sue anyone for copywrite infringement.

Sorry - I guess it just had to be said, and that is all I can say....
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Wiets - you have no idea how funny it is that you said that about that particular book bru! WAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA - They have no right whatsoever to sue anyone for copywrite infringement. Sorry - I guess it just had to be said, and that is all I can say....
    Although not a intellectual property rights attorney, I deal with this issue on a regular basis and have spend hundreds of thousands protecting our own intellectual property. Having said this, I do believe that I have a fair understanding of intellectual property legislation.

I surmise that your statement is based on the fact that the knowledge and info already existed prior to the book and actually belongs to the experts featured in those books. That this knowledge is therefor perhaps not the property of the book writers/publishers themselves.

If so, your argument is fatally flawed! The info or knowledge is most certainly not copyrighted - this is in the public domain. However, the written word, diagrams, photo's as written and published in that particular book are automatically copyrighted by way of international conventions and agreements. In turn, this automatic copyright is written into our own South African legislation. This is so regardless where or how the information was obtained, whether the actual info or knowhow was provided by experts themselves.

In addition, it is common practice for writers/publishers to have contributors legally sign over all rights for the material about to be published. I would not know whether this is indeed the situation or not.

Don't listen to lay talk! Otherwise it might be BAAAAAAAAAHOOHOOHOHOHOHO! OUCH! Those books enjoy full copyright protection! Don't take my word for it - test it with any capable intellectual property attorney. As an attorney, perhaps MCC can also shed some light on this matter.

My 2 cents!
    Last edited by Wiets; 28-11-07 at 02:00 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast