Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Fishing today

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Hi Deneys (this applies to the streams run by cps)

I am sure i will be corrected if its wrong......

You must be a member of the CPS then your yearly fee covers your trips to there waters both still and stream membership runs Sep-jun/july? R+-R500

If you are not a member it cost R130, R100 cps, R30 Cape conservation, you must fish with a member i think......http://www.piscator.co.za/firstpage.html

thanks nic,

Iv been dreaming of fishing a clear steam lately as this will be the first

Is it best to fish these streams in autum or winter ?
    NOTICE :

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice
    is not worth noticing thank you for
    NOTICING

Quote Originally Posted by Deneys View Post
    thanks nic,

I think you need to ask the experts.....as far as i am concerned anytime is a good time as long as i get on the water....would be good to meet up for a beer and a bit of stillwater as well if you visit the cape....i am sure one of the seasoned stream pros would take you out on the streams...
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

thanks nic,

Hi Deneys

Our streams close for the winter months! ... I knowlittle about fishing our streams (compared to many other of our Cape "Pros") .. but I think in Spring the water could still be too high/discoloured, and Autumn maybe a bit low. I am sure your question will get a better answer from some of our other "Capies"
    But DO IT!! ... it is really amazing, and to me I am fast becoming addicted. I think it is what fly/trout fishing is, or rather should be, all about! Particularly using a small dry fly in that "thin" water. It's my New Year goal to learn lots about this in the next year!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Hi Deneys

Our streams close for the winter months! ... I knowlittle about fishing our streams (compared to many other of our Cape "Pros") .. but I think in Spring the water could still be too high/discoloured, and Autumn maybe a bit low. I am sure your question will get a better answer from some of our other "Capies"
    But DO IT!! ... it is really amazing, and to me I am fast becoming addicted. I think it is what fly/trout fishing is, or rather should be, all about! Particularly using a small dry fly in that "thin" water. It's my New Year goal to learn lots about this in the next year!

Thanks Jasper

I am definitely going to give it a try having a look at the pictures that Darryl posted on the Smalblaar I can see why it must be so addictive.

Now don't get me wrong I love the vaal (SH*t I hope I don't get hate e-mail for this) but I think that fishing you streams must be allot harder and I love the surroundings that the trout live in.
    NOTICE :

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice
    is not worth noticing thank you for
    NOTICING

Another tough day in Africa. Had a glory hour on the Smalblaar this morning, starting off with this beauty taken on a black spider hackled RW variant.

Attachment 1750

Attachment 1748

Attachment 1749

Landed 3 more in close succession until the downstream wind changed direction and the fishing went completely off. I had a good time nevertheless.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 03-12-07 at 03:47 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

thanks nic,

Hi Deneys. Winter is closed season and no fishing is allowed on the Cape streams for 3 months.

Autumn fishing can be excellent as temperature levels cool down a bit, but as Jasper rightly says, the low water levels can make fishing pretty challenging and in many cases damn frustrating to say the least.

Ideally we would want a few early showers to freshen things up and raise the water levels a bit. This year was the first year in about 7 that we saw a few early sprinklings...and I think next year will be even better. Historically, the streams used to always be excellent from March onwards, when the SE buggered off, but I havent seen good March fishing in ages. It all works in cycles though, so hopefully we will get there again. If the current Winter was anything to go by, I anticipate that at the very worst, we should have some very good fishing in May next year.

1st of June the season closes and re opens again on the 1st of September
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 03-12-07 at 10:28 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4