Thread: Sandsharks

Question Sandsharks

Hey

Do any of you ever go out targeting sandsharks or any other kind of rays? I've been trying for ages now to hook into a sandy down here on the beach in Saldanha Bay, I've tried several colours and sizes clousers and charlies but have had absolutely no luck at all! Anyone that could maybe give me some pointers?

Thanks

They are sometimes so thick that you will foul hook one on every cast. I have had success with a crab imitation. Caught them in the mouth…

These 2 worm flies on the web in red should also do the thing.

I will cast parallel to the beach, and then let the line go deeper as the wave bulls back, keep tension on the line. There is no real take; you will just feel tension as it swims off.

I had my best success next to the Dam, but it is closed now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henried; 15-11-06 at 08:43 AM.

I have tried on various times but with no luck, i would like to break the code because that could become a nice fishery

Quote Originally Posted by saltybugger View Post
    Hey

Do any of you ever go out targeting sandsharks or any other kind of rays? I've been trying for ages now to hook into a sandy down here on the beach in Saldanha Bay, I've tried several colours and sizes clousers and charlies but have had absolutely no luck at all! Anyone that could maybe give me some pointers?

Thanks
    I am positive that if you fished the vark and vlei area near veldrift you would get loads of sandies, blue rays and duckbills. At this time of the year they are actively feeding on small mullet in very shallow water!

Default sand sharks

I have tried only once in langebaan,wading the flats were the guys pump prawns.I dont think fly choice is critical,maybe just spotting them and presenting the fly at them.Sean Mills seems to have targetted them with some success.He has a salt water cd out with different species and how to target them,what flies etc etc.Maybe that could help you abit.I will try again this summer....

From what i've seen with the sandies is that they feed better when there is some colour in the water. I've thrown fly to them at langebaan when you could spot them and present a fly on their nose.......no interest, not even with bait. They were so thick we were catching them with our hands. The next day there was some colour in the water and we caned them. Unfortunatly it was too windy to throw fly....................