Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Report back on the past weekends Vaaling"

Default "Report back on the past weekends Vaaling"

It was OK!

"A" for effort
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    It was OK!
    The Muddy Master has spoken

Did not fish the weekend on the vaal but i did fish on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thrusday afternoons.

Got quite a few muddies, one barbel and 3 small yellows.

A nice way to end a working day
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

CJ, yes well, at least the details you gave was enough to read a lot into

I went fishing on Sunday at a spot that normally would easily give me 30 fish a day, but alas only got 12. I believe from chatting with other guys fishing this weekend that Saturday the fishing was very good, but Sunday was hard fishing. There was a weather change on Sunday that really effected the fishing negatively. But I would never say a day on the Vaal was just OK. It is always brilliant.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    It was OK!
    Ghee..ghee..ha! Just had to do that to see what the replies would be!

It was OK, got like 6 muddies (1 in the ass and 5 in the mouth) and 1 yellow (just over a kg). The spot we went to is top secret!!! Got blind folded in Potch, then moered into the boot of a car! Dont know how I got there!!!
    Beautyfull place!!! Awsome water!!! I definatily hope next time the fishing goes a bit better. Thanks Mike for taking us there!

P.s Please note Mike, next time please put Byron in a different boot.....hy poep stink!
    Last edited by C J; 03-12-07 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    CJ, yes well, at least the details you gave was enough to read a lot into

I went fishing on Sunday at a spot that normally would easily give me 30 fish a day, but alas only got 12. I believe from chatting with other guys fishing this weekend that Saturday the fishing was very good, but Sunday was hard fishing. There was a weather change on Sunday that really effected the fishing negatively. But I would never say a day on the Vaal was just OK. It is always brilliant.
    Howzit Pieter,

Yeah fishing was tough yesterday...that venue normally pumps. I got the same amount as you, allthough one was a muddy. Nothing huge either...the biggest fish I got was maybe 1.5kg. I did get snapped off on a few fish though, on the take...I was using 5X diameter Stroft. That doesn't happen to me often...worrying factor though.

It was amazing...we get into the water, I'm showing Byron where the best spots are...first cast, bam...yellow. 2 minutes later, again. I thought good stuff, it's going to be a cracker...the old venue is producing again!
    Then, dead. But like...DEAD. After that had to work hard for fish.

C.J. is the muddy king though...and if he landed that barbel it would have made a GREAT pic and avatar for here! That was a monster.

I again experienced the fact that the yellows are disperesed...you find them anywhere, but not in HUGE numbers. And you have to work for them. Then funnily enough, there was a window of about 30 minutes where they hammered the fly...no need to even strike, they just leave town like freight trains. And then again suddenly...dead.

I got fish on Chartreuse/Olive green rock worms (#8 as well!), #14 flashback PTN's, and a new fly I tied...I call it the BF Caddis (because it imitates a caddis larvae but can be taken for a black fly too). Really just dark olive stretch skin used for the body, green wire for ribbing, gold bead and a little olive dubbing for the thorax, #12. Some fish taken short line nymphing, but most conventional upstream dead-drift style. One thing, the flies must be right on the bottom!

Place is getting a bit crowded..but then again 2 other fishermen on the river to me is crowded! At least everyone stayed out of everyone else's way, which was good to see.

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Michael; 03-12-07 at 05:20 PM.

Ja, I rate the fish are getting wise due to the increase in numbers of regular anglers as well as the frequent compettive fishing events at that particular spot.

The fish can only be hammered so many times before they reject a fly.

Especially you old(er) toppies will recall the days when Geelvis Paradys used to be a 50 fish/day venue.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Agree with Bertu 100% and I'm pretty sure I have fished this top secret venue too Yellows in the vaal will probably go the way of bass fishing where every season you have to try a "blast from the past" such as a TVN to try and outsmart them as they have seen ptn's and caddis in every colour, size and weight...
    Check your knots!

Don't get me wrong, you can still end up with a 30 or 50 fish for the day at that particular joint, but then you have to (I hesitate to say) innovate to a certain degree.

I'm actually heading out that way Thursday or this weekend.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast