Thread: Komati Tigers

Default Komati Tigers

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of going to try for some tigers in the Komati river this weekend. But I dont realy know were to start. Do any of you Know of a nice place down there that you can go and do day fishing?
    And is there anybody who might whant to come along. I am in Nelspruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Hi Guys,

I was thinking of going to try for some tigers in the Komati river this weekend. But I dont realy know were to start. Do any of you Know of a nice place down there that you can go and do day fishing?
    And is there anybody who might whant to come along. I am in Nelspruit.
    try komatipoort caravan park
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

If you can contact Domien van Buynder 0832738525 ( i hope the number is still valid - havent called him in about 3 years). He should be able to point you in the right direction. He used to run the ITAG tigerfish tag and release conservation programme and is a mean flyfishermen as well.

the best spot i know if is at the low water bridge at Komatipoort u can fish upstream and downstream of it. Just watch for the crocs and hippos. Flies tied in plain black work the best ... like black polar fibre baitfish and black deceivers ... early mornings and late afternoons r the best ... when u cross the low water bridge there is a caravn park on the right ... u can get a key to get more access to the river further downstream ... there is a rocky ledge that stretches well into the river in this area. when wading onto this ledge watch for crocs and the hippos. the Crocs r not shy is this area. There are som very nice red breasted tilapia in the river as well so a 4wt will come in handy as well as some leaden labeos. Other species like imberi can also be taken below the low water bridge ...

I'm a'heading off to Badplaas in a moment. My worst decision of the day is whether to go for forellle in the Skurweberg, smallscales on my home stream or tigers in the Komati?..

Maybe I'll try for all three - Badplaas McNab!! Knowing my luck I'll porbably end up with Sweet FA - but the chase is always better than the catch!...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Wolfie
    Let us know how it went, what flies worked and were you fished. I'm up there the first week in Nov. and I'm trying to get as much info on that system as possible.Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    I'm a'heading off to Badplaas in a moment. My worst decision of the day is whether to go for forellle in the Skurweberg, smallscales on my home stream or tigers in the Komati?..

Maybe I'll try for all three - Badplaas McNab!! Knowing my luck I'll porbably end up with Sweet FA - but the chase is always better than the catch!...
    Forelle - its next door to your place so less of a drive after a few bevvies
    Check your knots!

Hi Crazyfish

The wind was pumping when I tried to Fish.
    Went the whole Day without any action but I must say it wasn't easy fishing.

Think I will try again in the near future.

Regards

Rudolf