Page 101 of 437 FirstFirst ... 51 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 151 201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 4368

Thread: WC Streams report back

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Looking forward to HOSTING you guys on our gin clear waters. Using the rocks as cover is great on the streams,relly helps keep the shadow of the water first thing in the morning.
    Yeah those long shadows can be an issue. There is also the problem of your rod's shadow in the morning. Often it goes across the spot where you are targeting which i noticed this morning. When this happens, you can avoid it by casting with your rod parallel to the water instead of in the 90 degree plane. This will prevent the shadows being cast over the upstream lies.

Chris - It was a beautiful morning this morning. A light breeze came up later but it was very still when we arrived.
    Yeah the last photo is my 15 inch fish.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Yeah those long shadows can be an issue. There is also the problem of your rod's shadow in the morning. Often it goes across the spot where you are targeting which i noticed this morning. When this happens, you can avoid it by casting with your rod parallel to the water instead of in the 90 degree plane. This will prevent the shadows being cast over the upstream lies.

Chris - It was a beautiful morning this morning. A light breeze came up later but it was very still when we arrived.
    Yeah the last photo is my 15 inch fish.

Cheers Grant good tip with regards to the rod,i also took two nice fish on hotel beat two weeks back one of 16inches the other 15 inches,and Kyle also took a 15 inch fish last week (see my pics),i noticed that even in these conditions they still gave a good account of themselves,even though i wanted to get them of the hook as quickly as possible they seem not to want to give in so easly.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Hey this thread just hit 1000 posts!!

Have there been any other "serious" threads that have reached 1000?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Nice report back Grant. Thanks!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Thanks Grant

It was the first and hopefully not the last time I fish with you on the Cape Streams. We will have so much more time fishing socially when we leave the competitive side of things.
    "Vermoëns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¬ Lou Holtz

Geez I was'nt going to post first, I thought I'd wait for Morne.....But so damn hot here, I went and got a beer and thought AG what the hell. It's better than scratching your nuts So here goes...We got on the water at about 6:45am and the temp was 19 deg. We had SB3 and the first section above the weir.....that deceptive ball wetting section showed 2 fish rising. We were both fishing dry and dropper but all went dead suddenly. We carried on and Morne got a bass and saw a big trout rush off before he could even cast. My turn next......but now you must understand, we hav'nt fished the Cape streams for a month.....Morne misses a take, but if he had hooked that fish....I'm sure it would have increased in size by 50cm. When he struck....all you heard was this almighty "whooooosh", as the line came off the water during the strike. (some on stream chirps happen here).....I'm up next and a noisy "swooshing" at my fly and I miss it. I'm at the receiving end of the chirps because I'm too slow, etc etc. good few casts over the lie and nothing. One last cast....a longish one, but as I cast I say "Ok, lets move on" and I'm reeling my line in ....A smashing hit and the TROUT comes to hand.
    I'm getting long winded here, but we ended with me on 5 TROUT and 1 bass. Morne.....6 bass and 1 trout
    Must just say though...TROUT means 10 points and bass is 3 Thanks Morne for another interesting day but boy was it hot when the clouds cleared. So much happened today but I can't condense (a male thing).
    Damn hot out there and we won't be rushing out soon. I got 2 trout purely by seeing some shade covering the water and first drift past it produced a fish. Next spot, same thing.
    Anyway, it was lekka, but the heat........
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    We had SB3 and the first section above the weir.....that deceptive ball wetting section
    Roland, perhaps you could get "lifts" for inside your wading boots, or even get high heels installed. That will keep your balls dry and only your tip will get wet on SB3
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Roland, perhaps you could get "lifts" for inside your wading boots, or even get high heels installed. That will keep your balls dry and only your tip will get wet on SB3

HaHa, its always fun watching Roland wading after me. I go through fairly dry and he is stomach deep in the water. Luckily that "boep" keeps him upright
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Didn't anyone fish the streams this weekend?

I was on Holsloot 4 with Tim Pope Ellis and a friend from Nam and we battled for most of the day. The fish were out and about for most of the day but were in a very spooky mood. I was watching a fish in a pool as the other guys were fishing up and while it was overcast he was happy to sit in an exposed feeding lie. As soon as the sun came out from behind the clouds he dashed back into a deep hole.

I got 1 fish early on a RAB and then one on a PTN with pink goose biots, and 3 more later on in the day on a brown hunchback nymph.

The water temp was a nice 15 degrees in the morning and only rose to about 18.5 by the afternoon.

I'm fishing SB6 tomoro afternoon but I think I'll just spend the time on the lower section up to junction pool, as Morne and I have it on Sat as well. It's been so damn hot lately, you don't really want to be out there. I'm waiting for money to come in and it's dribbling in, so I may as well fish........(can't buy materials anyway)
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Page 101 of 437 FirstFirst ... 51 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 151 201 ... LastLast