Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21st Century Super-fish!!

Hi Chris
    give us a report back.
    Did you get any fish?

Phew, it was a lot harder today. The carp were more out in the open water for some strange reason. I fished up against the reed beds thoroughly and carefully with no results. I eventually picked up this little guy by casting into deeper water and crawling the fly back with a slow twitch/pause retrieve.
    IMGP0012.JPG
    After reading Dave's report, I was so inspired that I spent a bit of time studying and admiring this little guy in the water before releasing him, and I must agree, they sure are very pretty fish. Just look at the red fins, and the lovely pinkish silver flanks. I must say, I'm hooked!

Incidentally, does anyone know what variety of carp this is? The common carp is more a overall uniform yellowish colour is it not?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

John Gierach: If you wanted a fish that could sip wine and discuss Italian poetry, you'd look for a trout. If you needed a ditch dug, you'd hire a carp.

Yeah I like fishing for these boys! Good fun when you can find them tailing and sight fish to them!

Chris - I am currently awaiting the arrival of a new 8wt. Once I get it we must head off to Coastal park and sandvlei for some carp action!
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    John Gierach: If you wanted a fish that could sip wine and discuss Italian poetry, you'd look for a trout. If you needed a ditch dug, you'd hire a carp.

Yeah I like fishing for these boys! Good fun when you can find them tailing and sight fish to them!

Chris - I am currently awaiting the arrival of a new 8wt. Once I get it we must head off to Coastal park and sandvlei for some carp action!
    That would be great Grant. You are also welcome to come and join me for another session at the dam in the hills, much prettier up there

By the way, I subdued the big carp that I got the other day on my 5wt. I was experimenting with my shock loop connections again and was very impressed with the way it handled the fish.

I must show you my killer carp fly aswell. So far I've caught 10 carp with it, so they must obviously like it.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 11-12-07 at 05:50 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hi Chris,

That is definitly a common, common carp. Their colour and shape might vary depending on the water they live in. River carp in general are more sleek, clear water carp are more golden than the faded colours from discoloured water, in fact like any other fish species. They do give a good pull. Sean will love you to bits reading this thread. Is that perhaps the dam on the gunsmith's farm.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Hi Chris,

That is definitly a common, common carp. Their colour and shape might vary depending on the water they live in. River carp in general are more sleek, clear water carp are more golden than the faded colours from discoloured water, in fact like any other fish species. They do give a good pull. Sean will love you to bits reading this thread. Is that perhaps the dam on the gunsmith's farm.

Cheers
    Thanks Philip. I cannot believe that I am only discovering this now...after all these years. Fact is, I never took an interest before, but after the fight I had on Saturday I will never look back. I have a new respect for Carp.

Yes, Ludi's place, but not the main Contermanskloof dam though, this one is more tucked away....much more private
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 12-12-07 at 02:38 AM.

Hi Chris,

Myself and 4 buddies stocked the main dam 4 years ago with triploids, Mark Haroldt introduced carp from the top dams just before our stocking. The trout boomed and became hogs quickly, deep bodied supre strong fish, loads of platties kept them happy. The dam leaked, dropped very low and we assume most trout died. David is still fishing the bottom dam and pick up lots of carp. We had one day there with very good bass fishing, the one and only day, not sure if any is still around, should be, being bass.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Hi Chris,

Myself and 4 buddies stocked the main dam 4 years ago with triploids, Mark Haroldt introduced carp from the top dams just before our stocking. The trout boomed and became hogs quickly, deep bodied supre strong fish, loads of platties kept them happy. The dam leaked, dropped very low and we assume most trout died. David is still fishing the bottom dam and pick up lots of carp. We had one day there with very good bass fishing, the one and only day, not sure if any is still around, should be, being bass.

Cheers
    Hi Philip.

Yes, that is the same dam that Cape Trout Syndicate, (of which I was one of 10 members) stocked 15 years ago. The remains of the post box that housed the log-book where we used to log our returns is still mounted to one of the trees at the entrance to the dam.

This is the same dam that gave rise to my snail fly, the Snag (snail on grass). At that stage, the grassy verges were full of snails and the trout would literally rip off strands of grass to get to them. Within two years from fingerlings, we had 4 pounders....which was a phenominal growth rate!

I still visit the dam from time to time and on Saturday I saw a carp longer than my leg cruising in the shallows on the right hand side of the dam. By the time I scrambled down from the tree line, he was gone. I could not believe my eyes though.

For the first time in a decade now, I see that the island is no longer an island...which is an excellent sign, but being that full and given the size of the dam, it is a bit daunting for targeting carp.....which is why I moved onto the smaller dam and promptly caught a metre long carp, followed by 3 more in the 2 to 3kg class.

Nice catching up with you again
    Cheers Boet
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 12-12-07 at 03:54 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12