Thread: Hi all,

Cool Hi all,

I am what they would call a semi newbie to the fly fishing fraternity...

I have been fly fishing for about three years now, mainly for bass and kurper in a private dam in the area. Fishing is good with bass of up to 3kg and kurper in the 1kg range. The dam is currently a bit over grown with weeds but I still enjoy a day on the dam...

Two trips down to the Eastern Cape for some salt water experience which came back empty handed.

A trip to the Vaal, which also left me empty handed for the weekend. There were not any other anglers that took fish over that weekend at Raas water either...

I spent a day in the Magalies meander with a couple of good rises and one take but the fish were very weary. I spent 2 1/2 hours trying to get a rise out of a decent sized yellow, but nothing...

We are going for a trip to the Vaal this weekend. Hopefully things are going to look a bit better for me and the wife this weekend. I am taking my wife on her first fly fishing trip and I am hoping to get her to catch a fish... Just to get her hooked. That way I can manage even more fishing trips if she is hooked too...

Any good tips for this weekend would be good... I will be about 30 - 40 km from potch but i am not sure of the lodges name...

Quote Originally Posted by WernerL View Post
    I am what they would call a semi newbie to the fly fishing fraternity...

I have been fly fishing for about three years now, mainly for bass and kurper in a private dam in the area. Fishing is good with bass of up to 3kg and kurper in the 1kg range. The dam is currently a bit over grown with weeds but I still enjoy a day on the dam...

Two trips down to the Eastern Cape for some salt water experience which came back empty handed.

A trip to the Vaal, which also left me empty handed for the weekend. There were not any other anglers that took fish over that weekend at Raas water either...

I spent a day in the Magalies meander with a couple of good rises and one take but the fish were very weary. I spent 2 1/2 hours trying to get a rise out of a decent sized yellow, but nothing...

We are going for a trip to the Vaal this weekend. Hopefully things are going to look a bit better for me and the wife this weekend. I am taking my wife on her first fly fishing trip and I am hoping to get her to catch a fish... Just to get her hooked. That way I can manage even more fishing trips if she is hooked too...
    Any good tips for this weekend would be good... I will be about 30 - 40 km from potch but i am not sure of the lodges name...
    Welcome to the forum. Please be carefull of the flows this weekend. They have been around the 80 cumecs mark for the last few days, ( at Goosebay Canyon ) which means that that water will get to the Potch area around friday. Definately don't want your wife's first trip to be a really difficult one.
    If you are staying over at Elgro take the resident guides advice to heart in respect of where to fish.
    Have a blst and don't forget to report back on how it went.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I'm not sure about the flow situation atm, but.

Be careful with the missus when wading the Vaal, period.

Would be helpful if you could name the logde you're staying at, but:

1) Hydropsyche Caddis

There's still a lof of these boys around, your typical "Vaal Rockworm" in beige & green up to #10-#12 in size. I found a massive one this weekend that was easily a #6 circle hook in size and about 3mm in widh at the thinning taper on the body.

If you have a good day and there is a hatch of the Hydropsyche adults moving, I'd not be scared to lob an appropriately sized and coloured EHC to rising fish, you should still be able to pick them up on dry if they're actively surface feeding even though your viz probably won't be that great if the flows are as high as has been suggested.

2) Usual suspects of MF

Potch area I'd have enough Hare's Ear, Chocolate Brown and Black MF nymphs in #14 - #18 with or without FlashBack. If the viz is below 50cm definately favour the FlashBack alternative over the regular.

The MF hatches will trickle off during the day, it''s a good idea to swap to fishing an emerger and a nymph when you see the hatch starting to actively move and try to match your fly as closely as you can, to the hatch.

(That kan be kind of difficult at times, this past weekend there was a hatch of an orange bodied MF with lilac coloured wings, can you imagine ?)

If the flows are really that high, make sure you have plenty of added weight on your flies.

I suppose as a first thought, it would have been good to mention http://yellowsonfly.blogspot.com, check the river reports for this and previous years and it should give you a good basic groundwork of information.

HTH
    Last edited by Scythe; 12-12-07 at 08:59 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Welcome Werner, where in the nw r u?
    Fish - Where?.................................het hom!!!!

Herman,

I am aware of the Waterflows in the Vaal. The last time I was up there they had lots of rain higher up as well and the water flow was very fast as well. May be why I came back without a take.

I will definitely make sure she uses a wading stick if she decides to "take the plunge"
    Thank you for the concern.

Scythe,

I finally found out what the resorts name is: Resort Nebo. Apparently a bit higher than Raaswater. So it is not about 30 km from Potch...

I had a look at the blog about the river. It went straight to my favourites folder... Thank you for some valuable information.

That type of mayfly would be fairly funny to me too event if I dont have too much experience with the insect activity in the vaal.

Coop,

I am from Rustenburg.

Thank you to all of you for the replies and warm welcome.

Werner