Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breede Smallies

Default Breede Smallies

Can anybody recommend good road access venues along the Breede that's hotspots for smallies? I've fished a bit in the Worcester area with mixed results ...

How high up do you find them? I've followed the road up through the Slanghoek valley and fished an awesome rapid just below the low water bridge where the road crosses the Breede but didn't catch any. Too high up the river for smallies?

I'd appreciate any advice.

i usually launch my float tube from the bridge crossing the river below brandvlei. (the road that takes you to Villiersdorp.

your take out point if your want to float the whole day is at the felix unite take out a few Km's down river. to get there keep driving on the national road with villiersdorp and bridge behind you first large road to right and keep going it should turn into a gravel rd. look for turn off to right , take it and you should see a low water bridge. park car there and return to national road brige and launch.

alternatively

fish the pool just below the national road bridge...most people have good success there. fish to end of pool and return to bridge via severe kicking against current. it aint that bad!

njoy send pix

Hey, thanks for the info.

I've been wanting to do a float trip for ages, just havn't gotten around to organizinng two cars to go fishing for a day.

How does that stretch of river look like? (Brandvlei bridge to Felix Unite take out) How many rapids are there in that stretch?

Lastly, what is the bassing like this time of the year - Dec to Feb?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post
    Can anybody recommend good road access venues along the Breede that's hotspots for smallies? I've fished a bit in the Worcester area with mixed results ...

How high up do you find them? I've followed the road up through the Slanghoek valley and fished an awesome rapid just below the low water bridge where the road crosses the Breede but didn't catch any. Too high up the river for smallies?

I'd appreciate any advice.
    The Slanghoek bridge is an excellent starting point, plenty of good bass down and upstream of that. A nice two day trip by canoe is to drift down from the Slanghoek bridge to the Goudini road bridge, a distance of 20km. You catch plenty bass. My best was a smallie of 1.9kg in a side eddy just downstream of the Goudini bridge shortly after we beached our canoes. I was fishing an olive Crazy Charlie, and was immediately vas into the fish as soon as the fly penetrated the surface. He then took me into the rapids and all hell broke loose as he ran downstream, jumping and shaking his head at the same time in an attempt to throw the fly. I literally had to run after the fish. I think that fish must rank as one of the best river catches in my lifetime
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Question Slanghoek access

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    ... A nice two day trip by canoe is to drift down from the Slanghoek bridge to the Goudini road bridge...
    2day trip? Where do you overnight? Are you not going into private land?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    2day trip? Where do you overnight? Are you not going into private land?
    yes, I suppose you are

We usually look for a suitable white beachy area to spend a night from 3pm onwards. No time to look for farmers to get permission along the way, and some of those spots are quite sheltered and inaccessible anyway, so we take our chances.

Don't be such a woes Chris!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post

They go up much higher than that unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    yes, I suppose you are

We usually look for a suitable white beachy area to spend a night from 3pm onwards. No time to look for farmers to get permission along the way, and some of those spots are quite sheltered and inaccessible anyway, so we take our chances.

Don't be such a woes Chris!
    Not worried about the farmers that much, its the snakes, dogs and the farm workers. Let me know when you going again, I would love to go. I have gone 4x4 ing there allready with the inlaws and the water looked great! They live in Wolseley and I am loving it!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

I went back to the Slanghoek bridge yesterday and the 'awesome rapid' that I remember from a while back when the river was full (spring) turned out to be a disappointing trickle. I waded upstream and caught a bunch. I also fished Molenaars in the morning and landed 17 fish between the two spots, mostly small ones with a few 30cm fish in between.

Hey

Is anyone interested in doing this more often?

Will be on the Breede this saturday, hunting some Smallies, will post pics and report on monday.

Dewald
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast