Thread: The basket issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy The basket issue

I get so annoyed with line in the surf..it gets tangled around my feet and legs and any other flippin thing it can...I've tried using baskets but i find them really combersome and damn irritating...also when fishing rough surf eg. transkei or N coast on a big day..i find the basket beats the K@K outa you and catches the waves and throws you around. Also the tangles in the basket get to me...

i'd like to hear other guys views on this and how they've overcome the irritation of line catching everything...what baskets are best as well?

I have seen a lot of guys that put cable ties in the bottom of the basket which point straight upwards. The idea of this is to stop the line sliding around in the basket and so it helps to prevent tangles.

I have made one of these up but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Good morning

It seems as if nobody is working today. Lots of guys looking at the forum.

Anyway.

There are two types of good stripping baskets.

The first type is the old laundry basket. Not the two foot long version, but rather the one that is about one foot deep. This basket is brilliant when fishing off a boat because you can actually strip the line deep into the basket so that the wind does not blow some of the line out of the basket. It is however useless when fishing in the surf because it hangs too low around your waits causing the water to wash the line around too much.

For wading I have found the best basket to be the hand-held shopping basket. It is nice and shallow with enough drainage.

For pegs in the base of the basket I use plastic curtain pegs. It is the type with four pegs of about three and a half inches long, attached to some sort of mechanism that runs on the curtain railing. Only use the outside two of the pegs because they are wedge shaped. You simply break them off and wedge them into small six millimetre holes that you drill in the base of the basket. No glue needed so you can remove the pegs for travveling purposes and simply push them in before you start fishing.

The most important aspect of pegs is that they must remain absolutely straight, otherwise they will actually hinder line coming out of the basket. These curtain pegs will never bend, not even when you dump all your other tackle into the basket at the end of a day's fishing.

Any other ideas?

Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Good morning

Anyway.

The first type is the old laundry basket. Not the two foot long version, but rather the one that is about one foot deep. This basket is brilliant when fishing off a boat because you can actually strip the line deep into the basket so that the wind does not blow some of the line out of the basket. It is however useless when fishing in the surf because it hangs too low around your waits causing the water to wash the line around too much.

For wading I have found the best basket to be the hand-held shopping basket. It is nice and shallow with enough drainage.

For pegs in the base of the basket I use plastic curtain pegs. It is the type with four pegs of about three and a half inches long, attached to some sort of mechanism that runs on the curtain railing. Only use the outside two of the pegs because they are wedge shaped. You simply break them off and wedge them into small six millimetre holes that you drill in the base of the basket. No glue needed so you can remove the pegs for travveling purposes and simply push them in before you start fishing.

The most important aspect of pegs is that they must remain absolutely straight, otherwise they will actually hinder line coming out of the basket. These curtain pegs will never bend, not even when you dump all your other tackle into the basket at the end of a day's fishing.

Any other ideas?

Cheers
    MC
    Sudesh uses the nozzles of those silicone dispensers although where he gets so many used ones from I have no idea - must be tying a lot of patterns requiring silicone!

By the way where is Sudesh - he should be on this forum?

Thanks guys, most useful!
    MC, do you have a picture of the basket you use so i can understand the curtain rail thing better? i get the jist of it but it'd be better to see it.
    Ja it's a flippin ballache of note with the waves constantly beating you when you're trying to cast etc...maybe i must move to NZ or Aus where the ocean is a bit calmer in places with the same fishing...haha.

Where can one obtain these baskets? I have asked a couple of shop owners if I could buy one from them - and all of them said that they were not for sale. Eventually my friendly spar donated one to me - not that they are aware of it as yet... Any ideas where one could get one legally?

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Sudesh uses the nozzles of those silicone dispensers although where he gets so many used ones from I have no idea - must be tying a lot of patterns requiring silicone!

Hi Guys...

Just signed up, so will be around the board now. Silicone nozzles are free in most hardware shops - I just grab a handful everytime I visit one. You can build up quite a collection over a few trips.

Works like a charm.

Regards
    Sudesh

Welcome Sudesh

Excellent to have you on board your expertise will be greatly valued over here.

Default Pics of Basket

Hi MC,
    Do you have pic of your stripping basket with the plastic pegs?
    Thanks
    Brin

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Good morning

Anyway.

Any other ideas?

Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by phly View Post
    I get so annoyed with line in the surf..it gets tangled around my feet and legs and any other flippin thing it can...I've tried using baskets but i find them really combersome and damn irritating...also when fishing rough surf eg. transkei or N coast on a big day..i find the basket beats the K@K outa you and catches the waves and throws you around. Also the tangles in the basket get to me...

i'd like to hear other guys views on this and how they've overcome the irritation of line catching everything...what baskets are best as well?
    Phly

As Grant said the cable ties help with keeping the tangles out.It also helps keep the line in the basket on windy days.I don't think there is any perfect solution when swoffing in the surf - it is always going to be a challenge with fly tackle.Try using baskets with maximum naumber of holes in them such as the plastic shopping basket.This way the water does not pile up in the basket when waves hit you and there is minimum resistance.Anything with a solid bottom or sides and you are going to get nailed by the surf.Hope this helps.