Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Confusion: Control fly Bead

Nice control fly Gerrit,

What you could also do with the scud back is fold it double in lenght and the rap it (like a flat vinyl rib). I usually also ty in some black thread and rib that between the segments to make them stand out more. I've got some samples and will show you next time we go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    I suspected that is what you used, just wanted to make sure.

Try using plumers tape to help you build you taper quicker than thread (to speed up the process), just trim it lengthwise so it isn't as wide.
    Thanks Gael,cool tip.Luckully I've got about 10 spools of that white stuff in my drawer.

G

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Nice control fly Gerrit,

What you could also do with the scud back is fold it double in lenght and the rap it (like a flat vinyl rib). I usually also ty in some black thread and rib that between the segments to make them stand out more. I've got some samples and will show you next time we go fishing.
    Hi C,

Good stuff,show me next time ok

G

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    The fly shown above has a 4mm fluo orange bead sure,but after a few outings the orange comes off leaving u with metal like look hence attraction gone,if that was ur purpose.
    What works really well (as I said to you in the shop ... you should pay attention when we're chatting in the shop ) The paint on coloured beads of any kinds will wear off quickly on the Vaal, heck even the gold plating wears off.

Covering the bead with Loons UV Knot Sense on the water works wonders for extending the life of coloured beads. Once you're done fishing, remove the knot sense and reapply on next outing.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    What works really well (as I said to you in the shop ... you should pay attention when we're chatting in the shop ) The paint on coloured beads of any kinds will wear off quickly on the Vaal, heck even the gold plating wears off.

Covering the bead with Loons UV Knot Sense on the water works wonders for extending the life of coloured beads. Once you're done fishing, remove the knot sense and reapply on next outing.
    Morning Scythe,keeping well?

Must have missed that one.Closest to that are these.Will give it a try.

Cheers
    G

Gerrit,

Those are good if you're only ever intending to fix coloured beads in red and orange. I often use knot sense to strengthen a whip finish that might be coming loose, cover a knot, fix a CopperJohn when the Epoxy has come off, give extra luminesence to a plain jane fly and you can also use it quite effectively for finishing knots on leaders and fly lines ... heck I even used it to temporarily fix the frame of my polaroids when it snapped one day on the water ... the uses are virtually endless for a clear UV curing adhesive/bonding agent.

Solly's has it (around R50 or so last time I got some) ask Yunus as they often have in the cupboards but not on the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Gerrit,

Those are good if you're only ever intending to fix coloured beads in red and orange. I often use knot sense to strengthen a whip finish that might be coming loose, cover a knot, fix a CopperJohn when the Epoxy has come off, give extra luminesence to a plain jane fly and you can also use it quite effectively for finishing knots on leaders and fly lines ... heck I even used it to temporarily fix the frame of my polaroids when it snapped one day on the water ... the uses are virtually endless for a clear UV curing adhesive/bonding agent.

Solly's has it (around R50 or so last time I got some) ask Yunus as they often have in the cupboards but not on the shelves.

Who sell those UV light jobbies?I think it retails for about R250.

JM has one,came in handy the night before when we tied leaders,etc.Imagine being out on the water today.I know there will be some UV's around but surely less than when it's bright and sunny.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 04-01-08 at 08:30 AM.

On a day like today it still cures, it just takes a bit longer. The UV goes straight through the clouds. I don't know of any battery operated portable UV curing lights & if they do exist, sounds to me like it is just one more piece of 'must have' equipment to schlepp around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2