Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are carp really that blind????

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Does anybody know what the "code" is with river carp.
    Referring to Vaal Carp, the key to targetting them successfully and specifically is again to find them AND see them before they see you. Then it's ridiculously easy. In dams it's also easy peasy, if you can see them before you cast your fly, there is very little challenge in it, like most forms of sightfishing to non selective feeders. Get your fly in front of it's head without spooking it, and you're in.

At a Vaal venue (which I will not name as it is my perfect right not to name it and bedamn to anyone who wants to have a broomstick up their arse about me NOT naming the venue ) in December 2007, I was again presented with the opportunity to CZN a spotted carp which was tailing in about 75cm deep water ... big black tailfin waving around in the air with total disregard for it's own safety or secrecy. Approached it to within rod length, dipped my flies in front of it's nose, slurp, through 5 channels of river grass and whammo, tippet popped.

All my targetted carp have been caught while fishing to sighted fish, which obviates the need to have the fish in water of 1M or less with good visibility, not really your usual summer fare on the Vaal, now is it ? Here I'm specifically not including the times I've been nymphing and picked up Carp by accident.

I do have a new technique which I have started to experiment with for fishing blind to Carp in deep water (>2M) specifically during winter and early season spring/summer, which will hopefully produce some more results this coming winter season.

It's ridiculous to be in a big pool on the Vaal seeing the signs of a pod of 50 or more Carp CLEARLY feeding, making it's way along the riverbed and not being able to walk away with at least one of them as reward. Pot luck casting to a cruising Carp can ofcourse be a hit and miss affair, with the odds leaning towards more misses than hits, in my opinion.

This new technique borrows a bit from stillwater Troot fishing, with a few adaptations, I'll keep you posted
    Last edited by Scythe; 16-01-08 at 11:45 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

I've also been doing a bit of fifth grader homework on my club dam of late on the flyfishing side. I've managed some decent fish on fly there over the years but all extremely hard work and a lot of stealth, sweat and tears..

We've a big 'Kids Carpathon' tomorrow. Which'll mean all the fish will have been scared into the depths within the first minute by the enthusiastic popcorn, sweetcorn, jelly bean and dog pellet-wileding hordes of kids! We do have a surplus population (of carp as well as possibly kids..) which we intend letting a local club transfer to their dam.

Will send a report-back of my humble observations after the children's carpet-bombing of our dam tomorrow! Will be interesting to swop notes with you other interested carp ff dudes.

I find it does help stacks if you've been a carp baitfisher as a kid before you try for them on fly. At least for me I just realise how intelligent and easily spooked they are, and they have some unique habits. Most fish have only two aids to hearing/feeling vibrations whereas carp have three - hence their ultra-wariness. Also their having tunnel vision of course means exact presentation is almost a must.

Blog Entries

Hi guys

At Coastal park, I find that a blood worm pattern like the San Jan Worm or my carp blood worm work well when the carp are being iffy. Also try a yellow or chartreuse carp fritz. Sometimes they get used to the carp fritz because everyone uses them these days, entirely my own falt and I take full responsibilty, he he. Also try using a much smaller fly like a #12 or try a much larger one. ALso found that a charteuse czech nymph can work well when nymphed under an indicator at times. THey also like a fly that swings and lifts there.

This one's intended for Clarias, but any other guys please feel welcome to reply.

I've fished for carp worldwide both on fly and papgooing for many a year, as no doubt have many other Forumers.

My question I guess for the biologists and ichthyologists (OK I hav'nt tried to check spelling, Google can't spell past 12 syllables...) - the so-called 'wild' carp', 'Cyprinus Cyprio' or what I called in England the slender 'common carp', we'd scaleless variations nicknamed 'leather' carp, and semi-scaled guys with the odd occasional massive scale called appropriately 'mirror' carp. Crucians, goldfish and koi were summat else.

++

I know for a fact at my local manor house in Berkshire - they did a lot of 'in-breeding' - several overweight unnatural monsters emerged from around the lakes.

Several of these proved to be fish and not human.

An autopsy on Lady Frogge-Smythe proved the the Wehrmacht tried to interbreed her 'genitalia discharge' with those of Aryan males tested at Eva Braun's private cocktail bar in 1936, using Martini glasses as receptacles.

Jesse Owens had flu and was unable to attend.

The principle being, if the Germans can't conquer the Channel by air, sea or land, what about interbreeding with amphibians and doing a damsel-nymph sub-surface swim?

Lady F-M's webbed-feet - rancid, shrivelled and blackened though they may now be - still inspire awe and occasional uncalled-for ribald mirth, amongst the gentry who are permitted to enter the hallowed portals of Gillingham F.C. 'Hall Of Fame'.

++

My query to Clarias and others, when I see how Eastern Europe, SE Asia, the Far East and 'Let's vote for Monica's boyfriend's b@tch, at least she's white' territory, how far should inbreeding go so you end up with obscene unnatural 92lb carp - and be proud to catch such a monstrosity?

How proud will the first guy be to catch a 50lb brown trout 'selectively' introduced into one on the the pools of the Holsloot? (Shelton, don't answer all at once..!)

OK, it's an old thorny question - but I've enjoyed reviving it!!

++

That's actually the least of my problem!

Another less piscatorial question, looking at the photo of the guy who shot this ***damn thung, why's he wasting his obvious talents on 'eliminating' obese fish and not doing the same on the other monsters in Eye-raq and Afghanistan?

Aaarghhh, time for a sleeping pill and a last demi-tasse of Wit Muscadel...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Blog Entries

While many a strange breed has entered the GFC hall of fame i do not recall many inbreds however some freaks have been reported and these where whisked of to Chelsea post haste.

Now having read the question again i found some interesting facts about inbreeding in fish http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17010083/ ,it appears that sleeping with ones sister in the ciclid world is normal.

The next lot of info is specific to trout farming and would be an interesting reading to anyone owning a farm or wishing to start one, http://cgil.uoguelph.ca/pub/6wcgalp/6wcPante.pdf

enjoy.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Methinks the 92lb monster's folks' were a Chernobyl Dam carp and a GM-fed haggis....

Natalie the kids and myself were at the vlei yesterday for about an hour or so. I wanted to go for leeries but swambo would not give me the rod back after she was practicing her casting While she was casting a noticed some dark shadows in the water which I immediately recognized as carp. They were about 6 meters out and feeding just on the end of the weeds. After wrestling the rod from her and handing over the kids I tied on a carp fritz onto the 8 weight I was fishing. There was not much flow to speak of so I could not get a good drift. Damn near every cast I made spooked these bloody fish and the darted leaving the tell tale mud cloud over my fly. SWINES It was really hard to see the fish because of the cloud cover. The section I fished has been holding carp on the same spot for the last two times I was there. Saw some mullet jumping but no leerie action And for some reason my casting was really up to crap yesterday. Thats it..next time the kids stay with the mom in-law.
    Thatís the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isnít good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Booger Rose Banned User

I've done a bit of fishing for carp with the fly and learned one thing - if you get the carp today in a certain manner, catch as long and hard as you can and take as many as possible, because tommorow will be different and you won't get them again!

one of my best days of carp fishing: blind casting for yellows with a olive wooly bugger in the big pools of the Gouritz river. between two of us we must have landed about 20 carp. this was blindcasting in deep water with the fish taking as agresively as any yellowfish. must also say that on this day we caugt six species of fish and a lot of them, not only carp.

Nicest way of catching a carp: sightfishing, normally carp is right next to the bank and it sometimes help to cast the fly on dry land and then pulling it into the water, smal twitch near the carp and VAS!

most memoriable fish taken: thousands of very smal white mayflies( ) were on water, and I mean a lot, making spots that look like scumlines on water. the carp was surface fishing so that you can only see the orange mouth going open and close. we tried all of our drieflies, to the smallest tiniest whatever. I got gatvol for the small stuff and tied on a big Royal Wulf. that fly landed on the water maybe a metre in front of feeding carp and in the slow way only a carp can do it cruises up to the fly and just took it - MAGIC!

Could be they were scooping up the thick spent caenis 'soup'. In tose conditions what you did was a good idea, also a fly called a 'Lucky Alphonse' which is basically a dry on long-shank hook with four separate palmered hackles with a bit of white body and twits of peacock herl for each of the 'four flies' on the longshank. Not infallible but at least it sticks out apart from the millions on single drowned flies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12