Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10'8" fly rod, 5wt?

Default 10'8" fly rod, 5wt?

I know some of you really like 10 foot 5 or 6 weight rods...what would you think of either a 5wt, or 6wt (even 7 and 8 wt) fly rod, four section, in a length of 10 foot 8 inches? (About 18 grams heavier than a standard 5wt, 9 foot rod). There are a few companies out there offering 11 foot rods now, like Sage (Z-Axis 11 foot, 5wt)...but the grip is almost like a spey rod. Longish fighting butt and longer then usual full-wells type grip. Ideally I reckon it should have a short fighting butt (or none perhaps?) and a normal half-wells grip.

Too long/heavy for czech nymphing perhaps, or the "next ideal"?

Reason I am asking is because there are 10'8" blanks available, and I would like to know what the interest would be in such a rod?

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Michael; 05-01-08 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I know some of you really like 10 foot 5 or 6 weight rods...what would you think of either a 5wt, or 6wt (even 7 and 8 wt) fly rod, four section, in a length of 10 foot 8 inches? (About 18 grams heavier than a standard 5wt, 9 foot rod). There are a few companies out there offering 11 foot rods now, like Sage (Z-Axis 11 foot, 5wt)...but the grip is almost like a spey rod. Longish fighting butt and longer then usual full-wells type grip. Ideally I reckon it should have a short fighting butt (or none perhaps?) and a normal half-wells grip.

Too long/heavy for czech nymphing perhaps, or the "next ideal"?

Reason I am asking is because there are 10'8" blanks available, and I would like to know what the interest would be in such a rod?

Cheers
    Mike
    I would def give it a go.Don't know about the extra weight though.I tried CZN with my loomis 7wt 9ft the other day.It just felt stupid and not right.

My point is I've gotton used to my 5wt 10ft rod.I can just as well get use to a heavier/longer rod for that matter.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 06-01-08 at 08:25 AM.

Could be interesting get give it a bash but it’s a pretty specialized tool I think. The 11ft rods are popular overseas with the boat anglers using drift boats, with the wind always from behind (drift boating), you can get your line out far pretty easily.

The only problem that I may see with such a long rod on the Vaal is landing your fish, it becomes pretty tricky even on a 10ft rod to get the fish toward you landing net. The boat anglers don’t have this problem as they always use a long reach landing net.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Well, I am specifically thinking about czech-nymphing...the longer reach should be advantageous, some may say.

But interesting you mention the longer rods are favoured by boat anglers. Why is it that most fly fishers think the longer the rod, the easier and further you can cast? I mean, I know the answer (or at least I think I do), but I'd like to hear your and other's thoughts about this.

The longer rods we used to use for the traditional 'Loch style' which as Gael said, we used to use on heavy boats on the drift with or without drogues, usually with two fisherman per boat. We'd drift sideways down with the wind down a pre-ordained drift in a lake. We'd use a team of usually three flies, the top usually being a palmer-style 'fuzzy' fly and cast usually only a rod length or so ahead, and then 'dibble' the flies back in the waves. It was very successful especially during the 1070s when new flies and techniques were adopted. At that stage all UK competition fishing was based using boats and the 'Loch style' technique.

Great fun provided your boat partner was a good guy otherwise the day could be extra-long!

Hi Michael, firstly you have seen how I fish on the Vaal. I took my 8' 6" Elbe out today instead of the 9' Explorer. Netting the fish was so much easier with the shorter rod.
    I for one would not go for a 11 or 10 ft rod. I would find it unwieldly especially in " tight" spots.
    P.S. My ego has been boosted, 9 yellows + 4 muddies in 3 hrs this morning.
    Biggest yellow 2.8 kg, but being all on my lonesome the pic came out cr*p
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

If you had a longer rod you could have tied your camera on the tip and taken aerial shots of yourself netting the fish.. Well done, good fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    If you had a longer rod you could have tied your camera on the tip and taken aerial shots of yourself netting the fish.. Well done, good fishing!
    Thank Chris, had the camera been on the tip the pics would have been of the OVS
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Hi Michael, firstly you have seen how I fish on the Vaal. I took my 8' 6" Elbe out today instead of the 9' Explorer. Netting the fish was so much easier with the shorter rod.
    I for one would not go for a 11 or 10 ft rod. I would find it unwieldly especially in " tight" spots.
    P.S. My ego has been boosted, 9 yellows + 4 muddies in 3 hrs this morning.
    Biggest yellow 2.8 kg, but being all on my lonesome the pic came out cr*p
    Nice going on the yellows! Well done. Yeah, I myself fish nothing longer than a 9 foot, even when czech nymphing, and I have my reasons for this. My mates and I have hotly debated this subject already...and still no-one can convince me the 10 footer is better than a 9 footer.

Some guys love their 10 footers though, on the Vaal for CZN, that's why I was wondering if 10 foot 8 inch rods would be of interest, seeing as there are blanks available now.

If you fish your flies directly under the rod tip then the 10ft is nice to have, you can cover more water or not get as close to the fish. If you fish at an angle, away from yourself then a 9ft will suffice.

I think a 9ft is fine as long as it’s not too fast, you tend to loose more of the smaller fish (any length rod that is). When I’ve been teaching juniors to CZ nymph I always tell them to rather stick with the 9ft, the 10ft is heavier for them and they become tired quicker.

As Chris so correctly mentioned earlier, I was referring to the loch style fishing practiced in the UK. That said, when I lived in Ireland and fished the lochs, I used my 9ft anyway and it didn't make me catch less fish in any way.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast