Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inanda Dam Fishing

Question Inanda Dam Fishing

Hi Guys

Has anyone fished Inanda dam lately . Want to try out my new rod in the coming weeks for bass on fly . If anyone has fished lately please post info on poppers and flies used

Many thanks

Adrian

Hi Adrian.

Fished it a few times (from the side) with no great success but we did catch a few. Paul might be able to help you out with more up-to-date information as he lives down there and from what i remember from our excelent conversations when fishing together he goes out there quite often.

Small poppers will keep you busy on the "anti-lunkers" but the most productive fly i have used there is a squidie of his design; alas, i lost the one he gave me after a few months.
    Last edited by Wade; 11-01-08 at 08:24 AM.
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Hi Adrian,

Haven't fished Inanda recently lately, but every time I have fished it I have caught so many fish, I've lost count. A lot of small guys but the occasional decent fish too.

They really seem to like this fly:

To me, this piece of water is definitely best fished from a float tube. If you have a float tube and you're keen to fish with me, I'd be very happy to join you as I've been planning on giving it a shot again soon.

Let me know,

Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    from what i remember from our excelent conversations when fishing together he goes out there quite often.

Small poppers will keep you busy on the "anti-lunkers" but the most productive fly i have used there is a squidie of his design; alas, i lost the one he gave me after a few months.
    Hi Wade,

I think you have me confused with "Phly", Paul. The squiddy is his fly and I haven't met you yet !

Nice fly shaun

I have been drilling the bass up here on small pencil poppers, great fun.

Will call you when i am heading down that way again (hopefullt soon)
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Hi Shaun

Dont have a float tube yet , but would be keen to fish . Need some advice from a wise guru like yourself . I was looking at going up on sat 19 or 26 Jan (only free from 15th jan due to unisa exams ) . Was going to fish off the side , turning left as you come in ( day visitors section ) where there is a bit of a bay , deep water and lots of vegetation should be good . I see the dam is full at the moment so hopefully fishing should be good , but we will see . I got the Guide series 903-5 like you advised , What a beut . Let me know if u keen and we can make a plan

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I wouldn't bother off the side. Too many other okes to contend with.

If you don't mind getting your legs wet, and can organise yourself a pair of fins, I have a spare float tube I could loan you.

I could make a plan for the 19th if you're keen.

Drop me an email and we can make a plan.

Hey Shaun & Adrian

I have been fishing Inanda very often during the past month. There are a lot of small Bass about. Unfortunately my Flyfishing has been limited as I have been taking my son from spot to spot as he lure fishes for Bass. It becomes difficult when he wants to move every few minutes, but I owe him, he comes fly fishing with me most of the time so now it is HIS time.

Back to the fishing, there are plenty of small bass hanging around the edges, the bigger ones are sitting in the open pieces of water between weeds/reeds or VERY deep down where a fly cannot get to. My son has been dropping his lure into the bottom (near the cliffs) & it is at least 30m deep there & has caught some nice Bass. Luckily I have a small boat so we can get around.

I agree with Shaun, you are wasting your time from the side, the place gets packed on the weekend & you need a float tube for sure. Also, be sure to get there are 05;00 as it can get very busy. Normally I fish from 05:00 to 08:30 then get off.

Yes that squid fly is Phly's invention (Paul Lombard) & he has landed a massive Bass using it. There was a pic of him with the Bass in the Flyfishing mag a few months ago.

Adrian, it may also be worth your while to give Shongweni dam a go, I have caught Bass from the side here on Fly. But again, it is better to have a float tube.

Shaun, please let me know if you guys are going down & will do my utmost to be there (Cricket at school starts again.....on a Saturday so I will probably be occupied with my son).

Speak soon

Alan
    Born to fish, forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by bluegill View Post
    Shaun, please let me know if you guys are going down & will do my utmost to be there (Cricket at school starts again.....on a Saturday so I will probably be occupied with my son).

Speak soon

Alan
    Anytime for us Alan. I'm pretty flexible at this time of year (haven't registered for varsity yet).

Would even be keen for this Saturday if you are. Drop me a mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Hi Adrian.

Fished it a few times (from the side) with no great success but we did catch a few. Shaunf might be able to help you out with more up-to-date information as he lives down there and from what i remember from our excelent conversations when fishing together he goes out there quite often.

the squidy was designed by Warwick Hastie...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast