Thread: sodwana?

Default sodwana?

i'm going up to sodwana the first two weeks of feb, and want to take the rod with. just need some guidelines as to the minimum weight for the rod etc... for the lagoon, don't think i've got the right gear to tackle the surf...

thanks

Hi

You might be able to get away with a 7wt, but 8wt prefered. You need to make sure it can cast bigger flies in wind. Have a floating and intermediate handy(lines) at least, fast sinker could also help, but not key.

Flies - can't go too far wrong with a few Chart/white Charlies and deceivers and same in poppers.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Hi,

There's a reef just to the right of the main bay. You can wade out to the point just after low tide and fish into fairly deep water from there. We got some small kingies and a nice queenfish there.

If you have access to a boat all the better though

Good luck

take a snorkel and fins (if you have access to), and go snorkelling off the rocks and in the gullies. The area just to right of the main bay, and the left of the rocks is quite sheltered at low tide. This will give you an idea for where there are spots that might produce fish, it'll also give you a good idea of what is about. Lots of kingies at Sodwana, and as far as I remember, loads of blacktail too....

Those rocks get quite busy though (or did), with people clambering over them at low tide, so you'd be best to get there early early morning before the crowds, or late afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaebar View Post
    i'm going up to sodwana the first two weeks of feb, and want to take the rod with. just need some guidelines as to the minimum weight for the rod etc... for the lagoon, don't think i've got the right gear to tackle the surf...

thanks
    Hi!

It is best to be there at first light because most of the mornings, especially when its high tide all the baitfish like cape moonies,bontstertjies and so forth lie in the last wave hiding form the predators like the kings who comes and chases them up the beach...

small white salty buggers work well for the cape moonies if your fishing with lite tackle and u dont need to make any long casts seeing that their just infront of u... the small kingies that hang around in the shallow water also pick up the salty bugger now and then... your stripping can vary from just keeping the slack out of the line and looking for the bite to giving the fly small short jerks.... vary it around till u find one that works..

hope it helps...