Page 1 of 35 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sterkies report back

Default Sterkies report back

Fished 1-3 January. As always the bettles produced but don't go there without good small black ant patterns and f-flies in brown or dun. When they refuse the larger beetles or hoppers you have to go 16 or 18.

This fish was caught on a CDC ant.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Yellowfever; 05-01-09 at 02:11 PM.

.....and don't forget that the place can turn into a seething cauldron not fit for any boat within minutes!! Beware of storms and take yourself off the water in time

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HPtjZgax60[/YOUTUBE]

Thats one HECTIC storm
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    .....and don't forget that the place can turn into a seething cauldron not fit for any boat within minutes!! Beware of storms and take yourself off the water in time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HPtjZgax60
    Hectic footage.
    Would have said it was the Cape Coast during a hectic winter storm.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Yes that was the mother of all storms, no boat can survive the washing machine picture here at the cliffs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Yellowfever; 05-01-09 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    Fished 1-3 January. As always the bettles produced but don't go there without good small black ant patterns and f-flies in brown or dun. When they refuse the larger beetles or hoppers you have to go 16 or 18.

This fish was caught on a CDC ant.
    Nice fish. I've heard about the black ants at Sterkies. Tell me is not video clip really sterkies? It looks like the sea???

Nice Carl

If I might??

What size and what hook you tying this on. Do you have a quick fire step by step??
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

That's a lekker fish vuilbaard, well done.

To the guys in doubt as to the power of even small storms, we were on El Dorado once with a near glass like surface, a storm came in, blew over the koppie and created >1m swell within a matter of minutes. To put it into perspective, we weren't even able to travel 500m in a duck with a 4HP motor fully open from the time we felt the first gust till the moment we forcibly landed the boat by riding it out on the crest of a swell and beaching it on a rocky cliff which was a enough of a risky move on it's own.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

That is one MOTHER of a storm. In the decade we've been going to Sterkies I've never seen it like that! If you're out there in this...you are a gonner for sure. Was there a few weeks ago, and we had fairly strong wind and rough "seas" from time to time again, but nothing like this!

Nice fish Carl, well done. We also managed to get some great fish. No largies this time, allthough we didn't really go and target them. "Made hay" while the sun shone and wind was bearable on the smallmouth. Got lots of fish over the 2kg mark, which is a very good sign.

One thing that angered me is they (Sterkfontein Officials and Staff) seem to becoming lax wrt letting just anyone in, and doing whatever they want. The police force had a function going on the one night in the recreation centre at the launch ramp...the rubbish they left behind made it look like a rubbish dump. No respect.

Cheers
    Mike

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Nice Carl

If I might??

What size and what hook you tying this on. Do you have a quick fire step by step??
    Mike

A Gamakatsu, but I'm not entirely happy with them had one opening up on a smaller fish. So I played this one with very soft hands.
    #16 body CDC dubbed, wings white CDC very sparse.
    Ok time permitting I will do a SBS, because there are some improvements I want to add:
    Change body to be smooth & shiny, so no CDC dub. I'm thinking black foam I got from aircon insulation.
    Wings tied spent and folded back. Not all ants had spent wings, some where caddis style.
    That said the fly did produce and some very good fish, so why fix

Page 1 of 35 1234567891011 ... LastLast