Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your preferred multi-purpose salty hook

Arrow Your preferred multi-purpose salty hook

Howdy fellows,

I'd be very keen to hear your thoughts on what brand and model salty hooks would be your 'must have' item for general purpose saltwater fly tying.

Preferably it should be suitable for use in everything from Charlies to Prawns to Clousers to Sempers to Flashy Profiles.

If you want to elaborate as to why, that would be awesome too.

TIA,
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

I like the Mustads, 34007 works as a good all rounder. Major drawback is that they all need to be sharpened, they are as blunt as hell when you buy them. The plated hooks are always sharper but my general experience is that they rust very quickly. My 2c
    PS: they debarb easy
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Theres another make I've used with goog success, which is actually a bass hook, can't remember the name straight off, I'll check when I get home this afternoon.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Havent ever tied saltwater flies before, but a month or two ago one of the local mags had an article in it about saltwater hooks. The recommended gamakatsu sl12s for practically everything from "strong and robust" for kingies, "uncrushable" for parrot fish and "durable" for bones - it read like a gamakatsu sponsored advert. The sl12s part might be a bit off so just double check that, I have the mag at home somewhere if you get stuck.
    Check your knots!

Cool beans, thanks.

I know my GT bef@kte friends like the Gamakatsu stingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Howdy fellows,

I'd be very keen to hear your thoughts on what brand and model salty hooks would be your 'must have' item for general purpose saltwater fly tying.

Preferably it should be suitable for use in everything from Charlies to Prawns to Clousers to Sempers to Flashy Profiles.

If you want to elaborate as to why, that would be awesome too.

TIA,
    I prefer the Mustad 34007, nice durable hook and strong.

Gamagatsu....or.....Grip
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

All my flies are only tied on Gamakatsu SL12's.

Everything from small bonefish flies, right up to billfish flies ... all on the same hook.
    You can get them in boxes of 50 hooks, it sure saves messing around with little packets too.

They're super sharp and super strong - what more do you need from a hook?

Hi there

I basically use three different hooks for saltwater flies.

The SL12 (Trey Combs) is a great allround hook and if you want to stick to a single model then this would definitely be the one. It is hard to fault this hook and possibly the only consideration would be price. In the smaller sizes I have had Parrotfish and Milkies straighten them but these fish would destroy most small hooks.

The other two hook models are both from Mustad. These are the new Signature series which is chemically sharpened and vastly superior to the old style of Mustad hooks.

For Clousers I prefer the Mustad C68S SS. This is a fairly heavy wired hook with a short shank. I prefer this combination for Clousers because it helps the fly to sink faster and the concentrated weight accentuates the jigging action.

The other good hook by Mustad is the S71S SS. This is basically an upgrade of the old 34007. It has similar dimensions to the Trey Combs and is therefore also a very good allround hook. If your tackle shop still sells the old 34007, then get them to bring in this new version. You will like it a lot.

Cheers
    MC

Thanks guys, managed to find some of the Gamakatsu SL12's and the Mustad 34007 (You were right MC, old stock at my local which doesn't flog many of them and havn't had to bring the new model in)

Will go pick up some of the new generation Mustads tomorrow, then I'll start with a pre-trip-prep thread and post the flies I'm tying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast