Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lonehill Dam

Default Lonehill Dam

I was driving out in the lonehill area the other day and i came to a rather nice size dam. There are restaurants and a play area there but i saw a lot of fish rising and none of the dreaded "no-fishing signs". Does anybody know what species are in there and if we are in fact allowed to fish there. Oh and if you go off the William Nichol road along a road called Fountains road you will come to a lodge called Teremok. Next door to this lodge is a beautiful section of the Jukskei river. When i was there last it was beautifully clean. There are vacant lots for sale where the river flows and i saw someone fishing there and he said he has never been bothered. Interesting is it not? Anybody maybe keen to see what lies beneath the rapids there?

Hi Josh

Glad you are on the site at long last. I will fish that piece of water with you anytime. We must make a plan.

Mabey get Gerrit and Tye (any others also welcome for an afternoons fishing) and do some bass bashing one afternoon.

Chat later
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Sounds like a win. I'm in if I'm back in town. Close enough for a pint or twelve as well...

I used to live in Fountains Road - yes, reasonable bit of Jukskei water - some LS yellows and barbel or that's what I caught there back in the late 1970s - havn't fished there since then, thanks for the reminder! At that time there was also a dam by Lonehill Film Studio, before any development took place. I used to picnic on Lonehill itself - the area was open veld..

I'd becareful when fishing the Jukskei, it has a dangerously high e coli count.
    Dont wade the Jukskei at all, rather fish from the bank, and make sure that you dont put your hands near/in your mouth.

I dont know the Lonehill area to well, but I think I know the dam you're talking of. The fish you saw were carp (if it is the same dam), and they are going to be hard to fool - I reckon your best bet is to adopt a technique invented by our fellow FF in WC. Chumming!
    Last edited by dizzy; 21-01-08 at 08:18 AM.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Thanks for the advice guys. Will give the dam and river a bash (rather carefully with the river though, E-coli is not so cool). Will decide on a date at some stage. What flies are used for Barbel and how does one tie them? I will speak to you soon chris about LS and SS yellows and how to target them.

Josh, if you're not doing anything Saturday p.m. come to our club for a braai and I'll show you the flies I use for the yellows and barbel - they're very easy to tie and work a treat

Will do. I will catch a lft with Wade. I hooked a nice carp at Footloose yesterday. Ever been there? Its over fished but its got 13 or 14 dams and its only 30 bucks to fish for an array of species. Its not so bad but weekends are no no. You cant even move.

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Josh, if you're not doing anything Saturday p.m. come to our club for a braai and I'll show you the flies I use for the yellows and barbel - they're very easy to tie and work a treat
    Chris I'd love to see them as well. Need to start targeting these species also.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Chris I'd love to see them as well. Need to start targeting these species also.
    Are you tired of targeting doublebreasted matress thrashers and the like?????
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast