Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Yellows rod

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    While your offer sounds quite exciting, and choosing OMR as anything official other than the official kip master/hyacinth dodger, is so irresistible, I think you and I have another engagement that weekend... If Tye is still working on it.

Also the bias of having a judge in your age group and you fishing home water is just too attractive to say no... does this mean it can be best our of three? one day your water, one day mine and one day OMR's???
    Thank you for reminding me

Best out of three sound good. There again NO TROOT. I don't fish for aliens

Let the slagging begin.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I like the way that the rules are already being bent, this is worse than playing cricket against Ricky Ponting.

After all it IS the yellows thread
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I like the way that the rules are already being bent, this is worse than playing cricket against Ricky Ponting.
    Yes, I can see that. You guy's need a neutral judge, like me! So take me with please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Michael, Michael, don't mess with Herman and myself!!

I once caught an 8.5 lb yellow on my 4'6'' white fibreglass rod in Hong Kong (see separate thread started by Andre, who's probably ruing he ever did..)

The poor baby's mother was in hysterics!
    LMFAO, Chris how do you come up with this stuff?
    "Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time."

Getting back to the original thread ...

Quote Originally Posted by Culprit View Post
    What would the ideal characteristics be for the ultimate or ideal fly rod for yellows?
    Look there are Yellows and then there are Yellows, I'm assuming you're talking SmallMouth on the Vaal, which in my book then translates to: CZN, Wet Fly Swing, Dry Fly and occasional Buggers/Streamers.

5WT, Medium/Fast Actioned Rod with loads of power in the butt for hauling a hefty fish, fighting butt optional as it's a nice to have on a big fish but isn't a major requirement, one big double foot guide at the base with snakelets over single foot guides the rest of the way.

My R0.02
    Last edited by Scythe; 25-01-08 at 12:05 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Scythe, you're just about describing my custom-made 10' T+T which is my staple for the Vaal SM's - the intermediates are nice big snake guides, with a full-time fighting butt and decent full-Wells cork handle. I love this rod, it's very sensitive for CZNing yet has quite a bit of backbone for fighting the yellows in relatively quick time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Getting back to the original thread ...

Look there are Yellows and then there are Yellows, I'm assuming you're talking SmallMouth on the Vaal, which in my book then translates to: CZN, Wet Fly Swing, Dry Fly and occasional Buggers/Streamers.

5WT, Medium/Fast Actioned Rod with loads of power in the butt for hauling a hefty fish, fighting butt optional as it's a nice to have on a big fish but isn't a major requirement, one big double foot guide at the base with snakelets over single foot guides the rest of the way.

My R0.02

All that........but dont forget, the rod should also be as light as possible. Lobbing a team of nymhs the whole day could turn into hard work if your rod is to heavy! The only problem is that "light rods" costs a lot more than your average jobby.

My R1
    Last edited by C J; 25-01-08 at 01:48 PM.

My ideal rod is streight, has thingies to put the line through and a place to jam the reel.....

Ok, my chin is ready
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Thanks for the info, Wade, we'll make sure we jam something in that as well tomorrow..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast