Hi eveybody,

I need some info on catching snoek with regards to:

rod sizes
    flies
    hook sizes
    tactics

Hope to get some information

Hi John,

I'm a bit outta touch with snoek flyfishing, havn't done it since my Aussie days when we'd go out in 'tinnies' and flyfish for them in Port Phillip Bay when they were 'in. They're called 'barracouta' or 'couta' for short ther ebut it's the same fish. My standard outfit which has probably now been superceded by all the Bright Young Things with their supersonic gear/flies, was a fast sinking shooting head, standard 8 or 9wt rod/reel and short leader say 6' 20lb Maxima, no swivel, and piano wire trace (most important, obviously!. I'd usually use Lefties tied with synthetics and using thin silver or copper wire instead of tying thread. No body. This so the fly might last longer than one snoek! I'd use 1/0 to 3/0 hooks. They used to take in a 'sly' fashion and really only seemed to start fighting when they got close to the boat, but m,aybe that's also because we needed fast-sinking lines to get to their 'level' which may have taken some of the fight out of them. Some of them would have worm infestation, but those I'd give to my friends...apparently the worms are harmless. Of course as you boys'd know from the Hout Bay fishermen, you'd need to watch out for the 'fangs' and also the gill rakers inside the gills, as both were covered in muck and anti-coagulant slime. I used to braai them fresh, I never got round to smoking them.

Anyway I'd also be interested to hear how your other mates in the Cape flyfish for them in the 21st Century!

Hi there John

Due to our Snoek being somewhat bigger than the Aussie version and the ever-present Seals, you will need to scale your tackle up a notch or two.

A ten weight rod combined with either a Di7 shoorting head or even better still, a lead-core shooting head, will do the trick. We have taken Snoek right on the surface in Buffels Bay, but this is the absolute exception and generally they are much closer to the bottom. It pays to stay close to commercials because the activity tends to draw the fish closer to the surface. Don't go too close though - if your flyline gets wrapped in their handlines you will never see it again.

A very basic 20lbs leader ending in about eight inches of 30lbs single strand wire completes the rigging. A small swivel can be used to attach the wire or you can go straight onto the wire with an Albright knot.

Backing is not an issue and you will get away with as little as fifty metres.

Flies must be durable and here I definitely prefer the ALF series of flies. Total length of about six inches. Good colours are pink/white, purple/white and Chartreuse/white with lots of flash. The best hook for these is a 6/0 Trey Combs.

Don't anchor while fly fishing as the current will not let your flies get to the right depth. Cast up-current, shake out all the running line and once it pulls up tight, start stripping. Don't go too fast - long single handed strips.

Watch out for Seals and if they do get hold of your fish you should not attempt to pull on it. Simply straight stick the Seal and pop the fly off.

Enjoy and watch out for the bullets.

MC

Thanks for the 21st Century update, MC! Excuse my ignorance, what's an ALF fly?

Cheers, Chris

Never tried them on fly but from experience they'll take anything shiny that's moving.

That's it!..

Stainless steel shaving clouser?

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Thanks for the 21st Century update, MC! Excuse my ignorance, what's an ALF fly?

Cheers, Chris
    Mc, I eventually worked it out... anchovy ('looking') fly!

Morning Chris

You are close.

It is a Bill & Kate Howe pattern and it stands for Anchovy Looking Fuc.er.

Good fly that.

thanks guys for the feedback, i will keep you posted

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast