Thread: Vaal River

Default Vaal River

I'm planning to go to the Vaal River soon (in between all the other family commitments). I read an article this morning about the state of the water in the Vaal River. In the article they mentioned that it's no longer safe to wade the river without waders. Is this true?

When people start getting sick from fishing in Bloemhof, ( same article in TCFF) then I recon it's only wise to take precautions. I personally am not using waders in the Vaal ( don't posses any ) but have taken precautions by having a Hepatites jab
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Thanx Herman. I guess I'll also rather play it safe.

I fish there weekly and so far so good! BUT I have also decided to rather go for the hep shot, just incase!! It's just to hot, dangerous and uncomfortable to go out with waders, part of the fun is feeling the water rush by and cooling down at the same time, especially now that we are getting into summer and it's really getting hot out there

I agree with you Deon. It's a bit of a mission to kit up in with all this gear and head out to the water. It's just lekker to cool down a bit. My wife is on my case and want's me to wear waders I agree with her but it's not like we're knee deep in ice cold water. Then again the wader will help for that unwelcome feaver or something. I've had one of those shots (can't remember the name) I hope that will help untill my wife or maybe one of you guys convinces me otherwise.

Get the jab; it won't do you any harm. But I always take 5L of fresh clean water with me when I go to any venue, to wash my hands when I get out of the river, etc… It’s also in case of emergency, to flush wounds, or cool someone down etc...
    To paint lines on a silver stretch of stream, is to be humbled by nature and to be closer to thy maker.