Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pollsmoor carp

Default Pollsmoor carp

I have heared that there are a couple of dams in the Pollsmoor prison precinct that hold huge carp, and the kids of the prison officials are pap gooing there and having great fun. Does anyone know anything about this? I hear that it is open to the public, as well as a pretty good golf driving range as well.

Are you sure that the dams are'nt called "Zandvlei" and the driving range is at Westlake?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Are you sure that the dams are'nt called "Zandvlei" and the driving range is at Westlake?
    Yeah, positive
    I've google earthed it, and there definatly are a few dams there. aparently, you go to the main entrance, and tell them where you going...either fishing dams or driving range, sign the book, and you in.

Sounds like flyfishing gone extreme. How fast can you pack up your tackle and get to your car in the event of a prison break
    Last edited by Jason; 06-02-08 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I have heared that there are a couple of dams in the Pollsmoor prison precinct that hold huge carp, and the kids of the prison officials are pap gooing there and having great fun. Does anyone know anything about this? I hear that it is open to the public, as well as a pretty good golf driving range as well.
    fYour entrance ticket to fish is if you must have a brother that is locked up inside. and for the driving range, you must have a female family member inside
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Eish, sounds like us Capies are really becoming desperate for fish. Some of us have resorted to bait fishing...and others are hitting the prison ponds for carp! Tough times...................and even rougher measures
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

nay man, those karp wil cut yu bru.

... make sure you have a blade up your sleeve

I fished a lot for carp up at my parents dam at Steenberg Estate. It is the most difficult fishing I have ever done. Super picky fish, only feed in about a square metre of water, right on the edge. I have hooked two and lost two. They are plenty of fish, I just cant seem to get it right. I only sight fish to them, and its amazing how they know something is not right, even before you have twitched the fly. I have tried everything from beetles to nymphs, to worms to woolly worms (mostly successful takes.) Pulling my ***dam hair out trying to catch this sneaky bastards.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

What has also happened to me:

A carp finally decides it is interested in my fly, it sucks it in, and I am just so exited that I strike too soon, and too hard, and only succeed in pulling the fly right out of it's mouth.
    Sometimes it is best to wait till the fish actually swims off with it before setting the hook.

Other times they in and exhale the fly within a second.....
    You need to gauge the "mood" of the fish on the day to some extent.

What I also found, is that there are some subtleties around carp on fly that is hard to quantify....put into words, if you will. But, once you start catching them, you tend to have more and more success as time moves on.

One thing I will say. How aggressively they are feeding is a pretty big factor. Sometimes you see them actively "pecking" at things on the bottom, and/or blowing clouds of mud, other times they just seem to hang around with no real signs of actually feeding. When they are actually feeding you at least have a chance. Even then, they are not easy. When they are just "hanging around", they are usually almost impossible.

On the odd, rare occasion you may find them very willing to take a fly. Once had that at Roodekopjes. Carp was moving almost half a metre to inspect my fly, often taking it right away. But....this is rare.
    Also, if you find them feeding on the surface, they will sometimes slurp in just about any decently presented fly, like a small DDD.
    Last edited by Vicus; 24-08-16 at 09:07 AM.

I fished for carp at Polsmoor 3 times about 20 years ago with Cape peninsula angling club. Lots of carp back then but nothing really big.
    May the fish be with you!!! www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast