Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Utimate Control Fly

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    If you were actualy trying to cast it, like in real fly fishing, when the line carries the fly, not chucknymphing it...
    Ok..like chucknymphing a spark plug or a brick!!! Does that sound better?

Now for general comment on the control flies, yes that weight (3 Tungstens) will get the fly down but they are fat and ugly, consider the following:

1. Does that fly still catch fish(if so what %)?
    2. Does the fly behind it still catch fish(if so what %)?
    3. Do you see your control fly as a so called sacraficial(sp) fly?

My current approach is different from tying huge m%%h#r F$$k#r flies that will kill someone should you hit him against the head when you cast. You have to(and this may have been said before) get a ballance between weight and profile just perfect. This will get them down, and not badly effect your hook up ratios and will have you tie control flies that still catch heaps of fish. Right now I have a control fly that gets down in very high flow, catches about 30% of the fish I catch, and does not effect the hookup ratio on my smaller flies.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Ok..like chucknymphing a spark plug or a brick!!! Does that sound better?
    That does about cut it... one brick please barman...

Although I was with out any serious bombs on Sat, and realy needed them in some places...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Seven one rand coins molten down? Actually they'd work out cheaper than tungsten same weight! But not as dense of course!

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    Now for general comment on the control flies, yes that weight (3 Tungstens) will get the fly down but they are fat and ugly, consider the following:

1. Does that fly still catch fish(if so what %)?
    2. Does the fly behind it still catch fish(if so what %)?
    3. Do you see your control fly as a so called sacraficial(sp) fly?

My current approach is different from tying huge m%%h#r F$$k#r flies that will kill someone should you hit him against the head when you cast. You have to(and this may have been said before) get a ballance between weight and profile just perfect. This will get them down, and not badly effect your hook up ratios and will have you tie control flies that still catch heaps of fish. Right now I have a control fly that gets down in very high flow, catches about 30% of the fish I catch, and does not effect the hookup ratio on my smaller flies.
    Pieter, I agree, the ideal is for the control fly to also act as naturally as possible using weight/profile/tying materials to best use so one can optimise the number of takes on control in relation to the point fly. Obviously the faster, deeper and nastier the water the relatively more difficult it is to achieve this aim.

There are other factors like u all know by now that also plays a part in getting down.It's not only about the control fly.

Just to name a few.

*Rig setup(Knots)
    *Tippet(Fluoro)
    *Tuck Cast
    *Lobbing the rig further up can also let the team of flies sink deeper so that by the time they reach u,they would be in the zone should u happen to fish very fast water at the time.

My 3 flies

G

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    You have to(and this may have been said before) get a ballance between weight and profile just perfect. This will get them down, and not badly effect your hook up ratios and will have you tie control flies that still catch heaps of fish. Right now I have a control fly that gets down in very high flow, catches about 30% of the fish I catch, and does not effect the hookup ratio on my smaller flies.

I agree, I only use those heavies in faster water, like a 65m3/s Eendekuil a few weeks ago, and they did get my team of nymphs down quickly.

I ty much smaller ones for normal conditions using only one tunksten bead and some lead as weight.

But...........I've seen some olks catch some huge yellows and muddies on massive control flies........I mean big! Does size really matter that much?

p.s Pieter, dont be scared to share that control fly recipe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    But...........I've seen some olks catch some huge yellows and muddies on massive control flies........I mean big! Does size really matter that much?
    Once again choice of preverance.

CJ u know I like fishing big controllers ie #4,#6.

But,what I do nowadays is tie the caddis's body shorter.More bare hook sticking out.

G

Ps.I stumbled across a pattern tied by Gael.Very very nice.With that fly u'll be able to go much smaller and still be in the zone.Ask Gael for more info.It's called a GB Caddis.Nice going Gael.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 12-02-08 at 01:05 PM.

Gael ties some great flies...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Does no one use split shot any more?... I still think it works pretty well if you still need to get your flies down faster.

I haven't noticed any difference in my catch rate other than when I know I'm not getting the flies down I add more lead and catch more fish.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast