Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down Stream Fishing for Yellows

Default Down Stream Fishing for Yellows

In another thread Barbus13 mentioned that he fishes downstream for yellows in waters that others usually leave alone.
    I have no experience of downstream fishing with a fly at all. Does one just "feed" the flies down a rapid, and if so is there not a danger of drag or if the fly snags, the fly line "overtaking" the fly?
    Please help me get this picture clearer in mind
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Well, what I normally do is take just one fly, cause two will spoil the action. I normally take a #12-14 nymph, look for those glidish water, cast it out not more than 10-12 meters. then I leave it for 20sec, and pull it slighty just to feel if not snagging on grass or rocks. Fly normally moves in the first 30-50cm of surface water. Remember to have 3 or 4meters of line hanging beside you to absorb the strike. You can fish it like that, stationary, or you can do a really slow fig. 8 retrieve. Had left my fly like that for nearly ten minutes before strike comes, you could also put on a split shot 10cm up from fly if need be for stronger current or getting fly down. Same application for largie flies also.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus13 View Post
    Well, what I normally do is take just one fly, cause two will spoil the action. I normally take a #12-14 nymph, look for those glidish water, cast it out not more than 10-12 meters. then I leave it for 20sec, and pull it slighty just to feel if not snagging on grass or rocks. Fly normally moves in the first 30-50cm of surface water. Remember to have 3 or 4meters of line hanging beside you to absorb the strike. You can fish it like that, stationary, or you can do a really slow fig. 8 retrieve. Had left my fly like that for nearly ten minutes before strike comes, you could also put on a split shot 10cm up from fly if need be for stronger current or getting fly down. Same application for largie flies also.
    Thanks very much Dirk. I think I know the perfect water to try this in from my inflatable at geelvis Paradys
    Couldn't you also try a dry with an emerger below rigged New Zealand style or would the emerger inhibit the action of the dry?

Herman

Downstream fishing for Yellows is extremely exciting and successful.

Fishing downstream is not really fishing straight downstream as such. It is more a presentation of the flies at a downstream angle from as much as ninety degrees to as little as thirty degrees. As the flies are presented a downstream mend is put in the line and this allows for a period of drag free drift. As soon as the slack line is taken up by the current, the flies rise/swing to the surface imitating an emerger. The speed of the swing can be controlled by more mending of the line. Line can be fed into the drift at any stage and this will again slow down the drag and allow the flies to sink a little deeper.

This method of fishing is effective on Yellows under two conditions. The first is at the head of a pool where the flies can be presented downstream into deeper water where the current slows down somewhat. This normally produces only smaller fish, but when the fast stuff is not producing fish, then this is at least another option. This style is very similar to the traditional English Wet Fly fishing. One of the Oliver Edwards fly tying & fishing DVD's contains quite a good explanation and demo of this style.

The second scenario that is absolutely deadly was shown to me by Keith Wallington. When the Yellows hold in deeper glides right on the edges of the river under the trees or Hyacinth, then a sideways presentation will swing the flies right under the structure. The Yellows love this "dragged" presentation and it has definitely produced some of my most memorable sessions. Simply cast the flies as close to the upstream side of structure as possible and allow them to swing in under the structure. Once under the structure it is a simple matter of holding on to the line to allw the flies to swing through. The hits are hard and the pull even better.

The specific fly patterns are not that important. I would fish two flies with one being a traditional spider and the other a bushy GRHE or similar. Lengthen the leader slightly and maybe jack it up to 3X or so.

Give it a try Herman. You will love it.

Cheers
    MC

Nice reply MC, I'm definetly gonna give it a bash next time I go out!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I once went on a guided trip on the Vaal near Kimberley. The guide also showed me the down steam method for yellows as all the fly fishing in those clear waters are done with only one fly. We used Copper Johns and we were fishing from the eye/head of a fast swim, casting into the tail which was deeper slower water. Then a slow retrieve is done, pulling the fly into those pockets behind rocks that stick out in the fast water (where the fish normaly lie to avoid the full current and where food would slowdown and be pulled into by the 'backdraught' created by the obstruction in the stream). The fish that was taken also smaller then the usual taken that day.
    No PAIN No Gain

MC Thanks for another very usefull and informative reply!
    Gonna give it a go as I know of the perfect spot, willows overhanging a relatively fast run with a 2ft drop off under the fringes of the branches

hi sorry guys, got busy in court, had children court and busy putting assets on the pc and tried getting location from max on "stream x", no sucses. I have fished it with a dry once and did get sucses. This method should only be used when NZ or czech nymping overs nothing up. I should tell you I did pick up 4 or so fish over 3kg with this method. Guys be seeing you gotta run. O yes tippet size was a 3.9kg I normally use, and angles like Mcc said works perfectly. Best advice i can give is keep rod horizontal to water withtumb and point finger on line. Sometimes just a sudden "thud" other times pull rod out of your hands. Cheers
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

"Downstream fishing" the deeper waters is indeed very productive on hotspot nymphs and wooly buggers. A 20m cast sideways with a strike indicator around 2m from the lightly weighted fly works well. Just let the slow moving stream drift the fly until it starts dragging and retrieve with a short stripping action to about 5m before the next cast.
    I often use this method when fishing for LM in the Vaal between Warrenton and Schmidsdrift - usually around 80-100m downstream from the shallow rapids.
    Save our Yellows!

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Herman

Downstream fishing for Yellows is extremely exciting and successful.

Fishing downstream is not really fishing straight downstream as such. It is more a presentation of the flies at a downstream angle from as much as ninety degrees to as little as thirty degrees. As the flies are presented a downstream mend is put in the line and this allows for a period of drag free drift. As soon as the slack line is taken up by the current, the flies rise/swing to the surface imitating an emerger. The speed of the swing can be controlled by more mending of the line. Line can be fed into the drift at any stage and this will again slow down the drag and allow the flies to sink a little deeper.

This method of fishing is effective on Yellows under two conditions. The first is at the head of a pool where the flies can be presented downstream into deeper water where the current slows down somewhat. This normally produces only smaller fish, but when the fast stuff is not producing fish, then this is at least another option. This style is very similar to the traditional English Wet Fly fishing. One of the Oliver Edwards fly tying & fishing DVD's contains quite a good explanation and demo of this style.

The second scenario that is absolutely deadly was shown to me by Keith Wallington. When the Yellows hold in deeper glides right on the edges of the river under the trees or Hyacinth, then a sideways presentation will swing the flies right under the structure. The Yellows love this "dragged" presentation and it has definitely produced some of my most memorable sessions. Simply cast the flies as close to the upstream side of structure as possible and allow them to swing in under the structure. Once under the structure it is a simple matter of holding on to the line to allw the flies to swing through. The hits are hard and the pull even better.

The specific fly patterns are not that important. I would fish two flies with one being a traditional spider and the other a bushy GRHE or similar. Lengthen the leader slightly and maybe jack it up to 3X or so.

Give it a try Herman. You will love it.

Cheers
    MC
    Important to mention that you should hold on like crazy, and get the fish clear of the underwater structure, and stepping up the leader is key..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast