Thread: Rietrivier - Kagga Kamma

Default Rietrivier - Kagga Kamma

For those of you who enjoy getting out and about with your 4x4's, exploring new rivers and basically just chilling in magnificent surroundings, let me introduce you to the Rietrivier.

Firstly I will start off by saying that 4x4's are not required to get there, but having ventured there, if you do have a 4x4, then other possibilities exist in the nearby vacinity, e.g. the Kagga Kamma 4x4 trail, which by the way is also a short cut to Die Mond.

I have fished a tiny stretch of the river, in the proximity of the bridge and caught many smallmouth Bass. I think the possibilty for other indigenous species could also exist and it is well worth prospecting.

To get there, head in the direction of Ceres. In Ceres, take the Prince Alfred's Hamlet turn off and head over the Gydo Pass in the direction of 'Op Die Berg'. About a km past Op Die Berg, turn right and travel on for a further 20km or so where you will find the Kagga Kamma turn off. Turn right towards kagga Kamma and travel a further 10 km and you will cross the Rietrivier.

The banks are pretty much fringed with high reeds, so I suggest that the best way to fish it will be in a float tube. It is one of the larger rivers in the area.

Good luck and please give us your feedback
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

For those of you who would like to make a weekend of it, there are comfortable self catering facilities at Boplaas, which is about 10km from the Kagga Kamma turn off. I suggest you get the telephone number from the Telkom info line, 1023, or phone John Yelland at Upstream. He knows the owner.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Howzit Chris,

I have got the whole float tube/river/SM Bass bug. Are the Farmers okay with us parking at the bridge and fishing this section of the Riet River?
    Is it okay to park at the bridge and hop in?

Cheers
    Grant.

I don't see any problem with that at all Grant. I have seen guys playing around in the sand dunes with their 4x4's just downstream of the bridge. There werent any fences barring access that I could see.

I am really pleased that you guys are going to check the Riet out. I don't think this river gets much angling pressure at all and you could expect anything there, even Yellows! I can't wait to hear your feedback, even if it is by way of PM

Yeah Grant- lets fish it then

Having revisited the Riet on Saturday, I was shocked to see the river reduced to stagnant pools and further reed encroachment which has completely choked it up. I think this must be due to the sustained drought over the past few years and ever decreasing water table. At the moment it is a complete waste of time in the vicinity of the road bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Having revisited the Riet on Saturday, I was shocked to see the river reduced to stagnant pools and further reed encroachment which has completely choked it up. I think this must be due to the sustained drought over the past few years and ever decreasing water table. At the moment it is a complete waste of time in the vicinity of the road bridge.
    Yea, I also went on saturday. Made a couple of casts but the water didnt look very promising. Luckily it was more of a road trip than a fishing trip, it was my first time in that area. At least we pulled a stuck bakkie out of the sand close to the bridge, so the trip had a purpose!

Sorry about the wild goose chase Izak. Pitty you didn't bump into us. We only arrived there at midday, after visiting some other waters in the area first. We visited 8 different waters in one day. Was a very lekker recce, I must say.

No worries Chris, I still enjoyed the trip. We were also there around midday for about half an hour. Must have just missed each other. I were surprised to see the amount of dams on the road between Ceres and the turnoff to Kagga Kamma.