Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Czn Set Up Or Not???

Default Czn Set Up Or Not???

Hi guys

Simple question do i have to CZN or can i just set up my rig as normal when fishing for SM on the vaal.....also could someone please post a picture of what a rig looks like when it is set up for CZN.

cheers Nick
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Hi guys

Simple question do i have to CZN or can i just set up my rig as normal when fishing for SM on the vaal.....also could someone please post a picture of what a rig looks like when it is set up for CZN.

cheers Nick
    Hi Nick,

Have a look at this There is a pic of a CZN rig.Just scroll down the pages.

There are many applications ie tecniques available to u.My advice would be to experiment and find what works for u.

Currently I do mono nymphing using 3 flies in very fast and deepish water and indicator fishing(2 flies)in slower shallower water.With the latter I don't tie the point fly to the bend of the dropper(NZ style) nor do I tie it to the eye of the dropper fly.

Indicator Fishing

I attach a piece of tippet (4feet)to my flyline and create a loop at the end.(Double surgeons)

I then take another 3ft of tippet and again I create a double surgeons and loop it onto the first 4feet.(Total length thus far is 7 feet)

I then make a double/tripple surgeons loop with the 3ft(90cm) of tippet(that whole piece),cut the loop in half first(2 x 45 cm strands) and then cut one of the cut strands in half leaving just over 20cm.

My heavy dropper goes onto the shorter strand(20cm) and the point fly(mostly unweighted) to the longer + - 40cm strand.

This is my prefered way of rigging,much more natural in my view.Once the 2 strands becomes to short I repeat the 3 feet tippet procedure.

My indicator stays put the whole time.Drag?Maybe,I still catch loads.

G

Ps.Another option with the knots/rig there at the 3x part is to still loop the 3x onto the 4x but instead of making the loop I was talking about, just add a foot of tippet via a double surgeons knot(joining lines)to that piece which also gives u 2 strands on which u can attach ur 2 flies.Just cut of the top part of the added tippet that will now face upward.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 21-02-08 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Hi Nick,

Have a look at this

There are many applications ie tecniques available to u.My advice would be to experiment and find what works for u.

Currently I do mono nymphing using 3 flies in very fast and deepish water and indicator fishing(2 flies)in slower shallower water.With the latter I don't tie the point fly to the bend of the dropper(NZ style) nor do I tie it to the eye of the dropper fly.

Indicator Fishing

I attach a piece of tippet (4feet)to my flyline and create a loop at the end.(Double surgeons)

I then take another 3ft of tippet and again I create a double surgeons and loop it onto the first 4feet.(Total length thus far is 7 feet)

I then make a double/tripple surgeons loop with the 3ft(90cm) of tippet(that whole piece),cut the loop in half first(2 x 45 cm strands) and then cut one of the cut strands in half leaving just over 20cm.

My heavy dropper goes onto the shorter strand(20cm) and the point fly(mostly unweighted) to the longer + - 40cm strand.

This is my prefered way of rigging,much more natural in my view.Once the 2 strands becomes to short I repeat the 3 feet tippet procedure.

My indicator stays put the whole time.Drag?Maybe,I still catch loads.

G

Ps.I'll try my luck drawing a pic in paint if it's not clear.

Cheers for the info Gerrit a PIC WOULD BE GOOD..........i have never CZN before and the Douglas trip would be mt first opportunity,but do i Have to CZN or can i fish a normal single fly set up..

cheers Nick
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Cheers for the info Gerrit a PIC WOULD BE GOOD..........i have never CZN before and the Douglas trip would be mt first opportunity,but do i Have to CZN or can i fish a normal single fly set up..

cheers Nick

Ok Nick,

Excel to cam will have to do for now.If it's not clear sent me your email address.

G

Ps.By the time u get back from Douglas I'll still be figuring out Paint.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 21-02-08 at 12:15 AM.

Hi Nick

Some really sound advice from Gerrit, you can also search the forum for pictures that MC posted with excact ways to setup a CZN rig. I personally use a revolving dropper system, aslo posted somewhere on this site already.

Now, you do not have to use CZN on yellows in the Douglas area or anywhere in the Vaal, yes you can use normal 1 fly config as long as you can get your one fly down to the fish, which is not as easy to do as in the WC streams, you are however then cutting down on your chances. Two or three flies is better and you do not have to CZN three fly setups either, there is a huge amount of options for you if you get your three fly rig setup right, you can CZN, then switch your top fly to a hell of a Dry fly like a Hydralator to float your nymphs and fish indicator style, same rig, then you could put on all nymphs again and by moving your heavy(control fly) position achieve different drifts, with the same rig you can lob (chuck) your flies short distances and SLN/CZN or you can cast a longer cast with a tuck and fish longer line nymphing up and accross, while doing this you can fish right past you and then swing your flies the last bit of the drift, or you can cast and swing your flies from the start.

Fact: the successfull angler will make sure that he tries everything on every piece of water he fishes.

Botomline: get a rig you feel comfortable with and then get the best out of it
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Nicholas,

In short NO. The impression has been created and perpetuated that CZN is the only way to go. Yes it works a treat and will catch lots of fish. It does though have it's limitations even on the Vaal.

Rather prepare for all events - dry fly to sighted fish or for the evenings, large attrators and poppers to Largemouth YF, nymphing, small nymphs with expert line control, CZN etc. I agree with Pieter, be open minded!

Carl Nicholson
    http://yellowsonfly.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    Nicholas,

In short NO. The impression has been created and perpetuated that CZN is the only way to go. Yes it works a treat and will catch lots of fish. It does though have it's limitations even on the Vaal.

Rather prepare for all events - dry fly to sighted fish or for the evenings, large attrators and poppers to Largemouth YF, nymphing, small nymphs with expert line control, CZN etc. I agree with Pieter, be open minded!

Carl Nicholson
    http://yellowsonfly.blogspot.com/
    Hi Carl,

200% correct.I just gave info to the man's question ie CZN and how I do the latter or not.

Dries and Streamers is a total different cattle of fish.

G

Hi Nick we can also show you the different rigs and styles in real life 3-D - as the guys say there are several different rigs and styles (other nymphing as well, not only CZN) - much will also depend on the river's condition, insect life and other variables.

'The rudiments are not too difficult to acquire.
    The mastery is something to which we all aspire..'

(OMR 2008 )

Have a look at the thread "what makes a good CZ nympher" some really interesting discussions there as well.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

G yes I also just answered the question. I was also a CZN only convert/disciple at one stage ;-)

Carl
    Wie is Dries en wat maak die beeste in die thread?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast