Thread: Mayfly tails. Microfibbets in bulk?

1. Default Mayfly tails. Microfibbets in bulk?

Those of you who enjoy poking about looking for interesting and useable fly tying materials may be interested to know that I have recently discovered a superb source of Mayfly Tails or Micro-fibbets.

Hamilton's Brush Company manufacture a synthetic paint brush called the "Ensign" with tapered nylon bristles (micro fibbets). The brushes have two lengths of bristle, the longer ones are clear and the shorter ones are tan. A 12mm brush will supply enough mayfly tails for spinner and comparadun flies to last you a lifetime.

And as they say on the shopping channel, "that's not all, order now and you get a free ergonomically designed wooden handle" I have have yet to find a use for the handle sorry............. Maybe I should stick it up the (o) of the twit who thinks this is a good place to advertise his bloody telephones?

Thanks for the tip.

Any ideas where you can buy these brushes? Builders whare house, Mica or hobby places?

Morne
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    Thanks for the tip.

Any ideas where you can buy these brushes? Builders whare house, Mica or hobby places?

Morne
    I found them at Builder's Warehouse, I was supposed to be getting tile adhesive to finish off my stoep, so easily distracted....ho hum........

Speak to your female companion.

Elizabeth Arden/Coty/Whatever also gives away brushes with their freebies and samplers. They're usually white or shades of brown and are perfect for MF tails as they have a properly tapered tip, are fairly strong, have a thin shaft and best of all, they're free.
    Last edited by Scythe; 26-02-08 at 10:15 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Speak to your female companion.

Elizabeth Arden/Coty/Whatever also gives away brushes with their freebies and samplers. They're usually white or shades of brown and are perfect for MF tails as they have a properly tapered tip, are fairly strong and, have a thin shaft and best of all, they're free.
    Scythe ur starting to freak me out. Cosmetics,pink condoms........any others?

No just kidding,nice tips u all

G

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Scythe ur starting to freak me out. Cosmetics,pink condoms........any others?
    HEHEHEHE, I'd watch that sister of yours
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Yes actually:

Clear bra strap material for shellbacks.
    Reflective material off a badge on my spinning shorts for MF thorax.
    Side panel off my babe's Sketcher sneakers for Caddis/MF.

*sigh* True genius is never appreciated in it's own lifetime.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

most art shops etc in the big shopping centres sell a variety of brushes, some are clear, some have a lovely rusty brown colors etc.
    SO next time you are in a shopping centre and you see a artist shop look at their brushes. between R7 and R40 depending on the size.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    spinning shorts
    Is the lycra pink too?

G

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    most art shops etc in the big shopping centres sell a variety of brushes, some are clear, some have a lovely rusty brown colors etc.
    SO next time you are in a shopping centre and you see a artist shop look at their brushes. between R7 and R40 depending on the size.
    Correct,for those fomies who lives in PTA or more to the east,try Jimmnetes in Lynnridge Mall above Wimpy.

G