Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18" Mystery Solved!

Default 18" Mystery Solved!

Hi Guys,

remember a while ago we were arguing about the length of fish we catch and some fish that were measured just didn't look as long as was said? Well Kevin and I may have found the cause.

We fished together on the smalblaar on saturday and I caught a lovely sized fish . Kevin brought out his net and that had one of those cool tape measures on the inside of the net, so we transferred the fish from net to net and measured him at 44cm!! When converting to Inches we calculated at about 17.5 inches and both of us looked at the fish again, trying to figure out how it could be over 17 inches. The fish just didn't look it at all! We released the fish and then I brought out my Tape Measure which was stolen from Swambo's sewing kit and measured the 44cm length on the net against the tape measure. The Tape Measure read 14.5 inches!!!! It seems those tape measures on the inside of the net are WAY out compared to the tape measure.

We worked out that each section on the net that is incremented on the net as 2cm each, was actually only 1.6cm rather than 2cm! That is pretty darn way out and you are almost gaining half a centimetre for every 2 centimetres of your fish.

Since these nets are quite popular, i thought they could be the cause of the confusion and the pics of 18 inch fish just not looking 18 inches in photos. Just check the measurements on your net if you have one of these to see if they are in fact measuring the correct lengths.

Ciao 4 Now,
    G
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

We all know the brand of nets you're referring to.

On another note, the built in scales STRETCH with time/use and lose accuracy. Some guys would retaliate and say "Well it starts measuring at 1.2Kgs as opposed to 0 so just deduct the 1.2Kgs" but ACTUALLY the inaccuracy increases with the increase in strain on the spring, so your 5Kg fish (6.2Kgs on scale - 1.2Kgs) only actually weighed 4Kgs or something similar.

If measurements are that important, buy a decent scale even better if it is an IGFA certified one.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Correct on the scale issue...I have a cheapie one (that most guys have too...comes in black or orange and reads up to 5kg) and took Garth W's R4,000,000 german scale once, hooked the two and pulled. Then when his scale read 1kg, I checked mine...again his at 2kg, then mine...etc.
    I found that below 2kg, my scale actually UNDER-read. In other words, my scale showed 1.8kg, the fish is actually 2kg. But over 2kg, the scale started OVER-reading. So if my scale showed 3kg, it was actually a true weight of 2.8kg. At a 4kg reading, the actual reading was like 3.7kg. At a 5kg reading, the actual weight is about 4.5kg.

So my PB of 3.8kg (two fish that size now), my scale actually was reading just over 4kg.

I still carry it, as it's small and compact,and when I read it, I know what the true weight is versus what it's actually showing.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Hi Guys,

remember a while ago we were arguing about the length of fish we catch and some fish that were measured just didn't look as long as was said? Well Kevin and I may have found the cause...
    ...Just check the measurements on your net if you have one of these to see if they are in fact measuring the correct lengths.

Ciao 4 Now,
    G
    Thanks G

I took the SWAMBO's nail polish and put 3 spots on my rods, 12, 15 & 18" from the but, anything over that requires a measure with the tape

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    We all know the brand of nets you're referring to...
    I don't. There must be hundreds of brands with a measureing device built into them...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    I don't. There must be hundreds of brands with a measureing device built into them...
    Nah, this particular brand wont allow you to Explor, um er um, the bigger fish you catch
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Nah, this particular brand wont allow you to Explor, um er um, the bigger fish you catch
    Ha Ha... but it will make your Explorded Stories sound much bigger than they are... ha ha, and to think, Kevin fish with Prada and Explorer, dont think Grant should have let that one slip...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Ha Ha... but it will make your Explorded Stories sound much bigger than they are... ha ha, and to think, Kevin fish with Prada and Explorer, dont think Grant should have let that one slip...
    Hahahaha!
    That particular net is there to get bashed apart for competitive use. I personally dont carry a net on the streams if I can help it- fynbos has a way of latching onto a net when hiking and it simply irritates me!

Re the pradas- um ja, I have fished with them sometimes- but only when I have left my normal polaroids at home by mistake..
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Looks like i have to explore the possibilities of a new net...WOAH HA HA HAAAAAAAA.

9. Default Priapismic effect.

Don't throw away those nets you may wish to use them to measure the priapismic effects of the purchase of your new Sage ..........look it up.
    http://www.goaskalice.com/1133.html

I have always marked inches in dots on the butt of my (fishing) rod although now my 3wt Scott has 12" and 20" "bragging rights" wraps on it so that one can quickly measure a fish, a neat idea from Scott I thought.

Dot's of paint are the way to go and make it quick and easy and requires less handling of the fish.
    The 19" fish I took on the Elands on Sunday was a genuine result despite the fact that Ian's failing memory reduced it to 18" by the end of the day

For the record fish should always be measured in inches, babies in pounds, fuel consumption in miles per gallon and women out of 10. Have a nice day.

My 9" aint no mystery, a "handy" tool to measure all fish against accurately

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast