Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Explorer guide series

Default Explorer guide series

Howsit guys! i am looking at buying a new trout rod, and was pretty keen on the explorer guide series 5wt outfit. Does anyone have this setup and what do they think of it? Reason that im asking is heard a few stories bout them breaking very easily? if you guys have any other advice would appreciate it thanks J.

Welcome!

I have a #3 guide series and it has been pretty solid, I've really pounded it with bigger fish than it should handle - but I have also seen a few go pop.

Hi Jake

I bought the guide series 903-5 # and am very happy . I did unfortunatley have the sadness of the top section breaking due to a factory fault , but here is the good part the top section was replaced promptly by the agents in Durban . Walk in - walk out with new section NO FUSS at all . I have only had the rod for a few months and I have been very happy with the rod . It is a good value for money
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Jake, I see this is your first post...
    A lot has been said about rods, even more about 5w's...
    Just click on the search at the top, and try find it...

other than that, I firmly believe you should only buy a Sage, XP, Z-Axis, TCR, FLi, hell any of them, Just Buy a Sage... but don’t let anyone call you an elitist... and Never a Sage Elitist... got it... thus endeth the lesson
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

From my personal experience Explorer Guide Series is the best Lower buget rod on the market without a doubt!!

If i can tell you what ive done with my rod youll laugh. After a year I replaced the guides and thats it - and it was for free!!

Great rod for not much money!!

My $2 Zim

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Hello Jake,

I have two Guide series rods. One is a 3pc. 4wt. 8'6" and the other an 8pc. 5wt. 8'6". I broke the 4wt. once. Roll casting between 9 and 12 meters across a stiff breeze isn't a smart act with any 4wt.

I can tell you, though, that I sent the rod in on the Monday and it was back at our post office on the Wednesday, tip section replaced!! In my book, that is excellent service!

I haven't fished with the 5wt a lot, and be sure, it doesn't cast like my TFO, but for it's price, Xplorer is an excellent rod. When you have gotten to know your Xplorer, you will cast well with it too. I would highly recommend the Xplorer.

Enjoy your research!
    PTN

I have a 3wt and 6wt guide series, I am very happy with these rods and cannot complain about them

8. Default

I have a guide series 6wt 9'6 and although i've broken the rod and had the cork handle disintigrate (sp?) on me. I think you pay R 150 for a new section if you happen to break it? I have had truly amazing service from jandi tranding, and I stay in cape town nogal(jandi is in durban!). It is definitely not a top end rod, but what u pay for it definitely worthwhile. It is a bit slow, but can cast a full line with ease if you are a relatively competent caster.....

The 3weight guide series is a really nice stick for the cape streams, relatively inexpensive to replace if you break it, which will probably happen sometime in your fishing....

My 2c
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Howsit guys! i am looking at buying a new trout rod, and was pretty keen on the explorer guide series 5wt outfit. Does anyone have this setup and what do they think of it? Reason that im asking is heard a few stories bout them breaking very easily? if you guys have any other advice would appreciate it thanks J.
    They are not bad rods for the price, but for similar price i think there are better. Stealth have some great new rods I hear, and Vision should also not be overlooked, to mention just two of the lower budget rods.
    Think about what you want out of a rod, and match your hunt for a rod, on these requirements. Sure there have been some breakages of these rods, but I have seen many rods, even more expensive rods break as well. Any rod can break, but look at the rods warranty, and the dealer behind it.
    Also don't neglect the reel and line, as these are also going to influence the way the rod handles and performs.
    But ja, for the price of the guide series, you cant really go horribly wrong.

Elbe rules!!! Cheap,( I can buy 5 for one guide series ) and as fast ,if not faster than a TFO CrIx. For small streams I would use the Explorer Classic 1, 2 piece. It's so soft you will protect 8x tippet with a 30" brown on.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast