Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Explorer guide series

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Which reminds me of my trip to Munich during the last Oktoberfest - jugglies galore, and there I was, not a beer drinker!!
    Sorry for you. Must have felt like a queer in teazers ...

Have fun camping out.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Sorry for you. Must have felt like a queer in teazers ...

Have fun camping out.
    Bwaaaaa ha ha.........!!!

Jake....I think that you can't go wrong with an explorer guide series rod...I own a 5wt for nearly 2 years now and it has become my favorite rod.Yo'might be suprised to hear that I do most of my ffishing in the sea....great for prospecting channels,gulliesand to have the most amazing fun from kitefish to shad to pompano to kingies.......a low tide outfit....when the sun sets or there are big fish around (sadly a rare event)....you start csting with heavier outfits......its an awesome rod !!! Good luck

Thanks guys, Herman Jooste i was just wondering which elbe rods u are refering 2, one my fishing buddys has got one its a 4/5 weight and its terrible stiff and rigid, i know the older generation elbes where not bad rods but wasnt impressed with the new ones? thanks again guys.

My Elbe's are the gneration before the latest ones. Yes thay are "terribly stiff and rigid" ( fast action )which is what I prefer. I found the Xplorer Classic 1 far too soft ( slow ) for my liking.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I dont know if you guy's have realized this but not all the guide series 5wt rods have the same action. I got rid of mine about a year ago but decided to buy one again just for the Vaal. I'ts precicely identical to the rod I gave to my friend.....a 903-5. The only diff's is the action...my one has a lot more back-bone and the blank is a bit thicker. Not that its a bad thing but I would have thought that the blanks will all be the same?? This is why it makes sense to feel a few before buying one as you might find what you're looking for between all of them.

I enjoy my Classic 2 4/5# and 2/3#, partially because the only other rod I have which isnt an Xplorer is an Albright, which I love...I haven't exactly had the luxury of buying an extremely high class rod (define high class), but I enjoy fishing the classic 2's and haven't had any problems as of yet.

Whatever
    "I see the fly float gently down out of the air and land on target. For less than an instant I think, how can this be? Did I actually do that? But there is no time to contemplate philosophy or magic or the rewards of hard work. A trout is on the move..." - Ed Engle, Fishing Small Flies

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910